One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, baptism, and/or christening information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists, a great number of indexes to birth and baptism collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific birth, baptism, or christening information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual birth documents themselves. These free online collections have millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth information that is not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 32 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
If you are interested in baptism indexes that may include the birth date as well as baptism information, make sure and check out Church Records.
The lists below are specific birth, baptism, and christening indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated March 2023)
Arkansas Birth Records
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1812-1965
- Arkansas, Selective Service System Registration Cards, World War II
- Chicot County Territorial Record 14, 1819-1828
- Church of Christ Sebastian, Church Register and Records
- Clark County Vital Records
- Clay County Delayed Birth and Death Certificates, 1947-1958
- Drew County Miscellaneous Civil and Vital Records, ca. 1868-1898
- Faulkner County Index to Births and Deaths for Conway and Cadron Townships, 1914-1922
- Fort Smith Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Franklin County Delayed Birth Certificates, 1947-1965
- Grant County, School Registers, 1926-1963
- Greene County Delayed Births
- Greene County Delayed Birth Certificates 1874-1947; Delayed Death Certificates, 1865-1910
- Howard County Birth Indexes
- Independence County Delayed Birth and Death Certificates, 1947-1970
- Izard County Births
- Lawrence County, Birth Indexes
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- Poinsett County Births
- Pulaski County, Birth Indexes
- Searcy County Birth and Death Records, 1918-1921
- Sebastian County Birth Indexes
- Sebastian County Births and Deaths, 1877-1963
- Sebastian County Record of Births and Deaths 1877-1929
- Sebastian County, Birth Indexes
- Sevier County Births
- Sevier County Birth Records, 1914-1923
- United States Births and Christenings, 1867-1931
- White County, School Census Records, 1940-1978
For all Free Arkansas Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills