One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, marriage, and death (BMD) information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists (as well as the largest of them all – FamilySearch), a great number of indexes to birth, marriage, and death collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific BMD information, and often scanned images of the actual birth, marriage, and death certificates themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth, marriage, and death information that are not included in the lists below. For example, newspapers, draft registration files, naturalization records, etc. have BMD info. To find out which types of other records may include BMD information, please see:
- 27 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
- 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information
- 21 Ways to Find Ancestors Death Information
The lists below are specific birth, marriage, and death indexes and record collections that are available for free online.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: There are obituary record indexes included, but are only listed if the index contains the death date, not just the date of publication of the obituary.
(Updated November 2022)
- Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959
- Canada Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955
- Canada Marriages, 1661-1949
- Canada Miscellaneous Marriages
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Obituary Card Index and Notices, 1876-2007
- Alberta Birth, Marriage, and Death Research
- Alberta Deaths and Transcribed Obituaries
- Alberta Name Index
- Alberta Strays, Index of Obituaries, Yukon News, 1960 – 2000
- Alberta, Catholic Church Parish Registers, 1865-1916
- Bawlf Newspaper Births, Marriages, and Deaths 1907-1911
- Calgary Herald Obituaries 2004-present
- Drumheller Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Edmonton and Calgary Deaths and Marriages
- Edmonton Journal Obituaries 2002-present
- Holy Cross Church, Fort MacLeod, Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, 1883-1911
- Kimball, Lethbridge County, Cemetery Records
- Kneehill Newspaper Birth, Marriage, and Death Extracts 1942-1946
- Lethbridge Death and Obituary Indexes
- Medicine Hat News Death and Obituary Index
- Mennonite Historical Society – Alberta Deaths and Transcribed Obituaries
- Provincial Archives – Births 1870-1902
- Provincial Archives – Deaths 1870-1972
- Provincial Archives – Indigenous Deaths 1923-1945
- Provincial Archives – Indigenous Marriages 1923-1944
- Provincial Archives – Marriages 1870-1947
- Provincial Archives – Overseas Deaths 1940-1948
- Provincial Archives – Stillbirth Deaths 1914-1946
- Sedgwick Newspaper Births, Marriages, and Deaths 1908
- Slave Lake Lakeside Leader Deaths and Transcribed Obituaries
- Southern Alberta Death Index 1997-2010
- Southern Alberta Pioneers and their Descendants, Miscellaneous BMD Info in Profiles
- Southwestern Alberta Death Index 1885-1959
- Southwestern Alberta Death Index 1970-1984
- St. Mary’s Cathedral, Calgary, Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, 1884-1907; Marriages, 1897- 1899
- St. Michael’s Church, Pincher Creek, Baptisms, Deaths 1889-1911; Marriages 1889-1910
- St. Patrick’s Church, Lethbridge, Baptisms 1874-1884, 1887-1911; Marriages 1887-1910; Deaths 1887-1911
- St. Patrick’s Church, Medicine Hat, Baptisms, 1898-1910; Marriages and Deaths, 1898-1911
Check out the links for other provinces on the BMD Records page.