Do you research naturalization records? No? Why not? Does the thought of going through paper files in dusty court basements turn you off? Well – I’m here to tell you that it is worth it – and with recent digitization efforts – more and more original documents have been scanned and been made available via microfilm or online.
Some of the larger subscription sites have also made some source documents available – as well as index cards that can lead you to the court that handled the proceedings.
If you wish to get educated first about all of these documents and the naturalization process and how it has changed over time – please read these two terrific summaries:
- The U.S. Archives Naturalization Records
- FamilySearch’s Wiki entry United States Naturalization and Citizenship
- Women and Naturalization
Okay – now that you are educated and know that post-1906 – about 4 awesome documents just drip with great information: Declaration of Intent, Petition for Citizenship or Naturalization, Certificate of Arrival, and the Certificate of Naturalization. Many of the online genealogy websites may not have all of these documents available, but do have index cards that are searchable – which has information regarding the court handling the proceedings. With this information you might be able to track down some of the source documents.
Below is a list of links to free online naturalization record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated August, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Bent County Naturalization Index 1889-1903
- Clear Creek County Naturalization Index 1865-1867
- Clear Creek County, County Court Naturalizations index
- Clear Creek County, District Court Naturalizations Index
- Colorado Naturalization Records, 1876-1990
- Colorado State Archives Naturalization Index Search
- Colorado, Naturalization Records 1877-1952
- Denver and Pueblo Naturalization Index
- Denver and Pueblo Naturalization Records Indexes
- Denver District Court Index to Naturalization and Declarations of Intent 1877 – 1929
- Douglas County Naturalization Books
- Eagle County, Declarations of Intention Index (1883-1916)
- Eagle County, Naturalization Petitions Index(1907-1928)
- Hinsdale County Naturalization Records Index
- Huerfano County Naturalization Index 1882-1929
- Larimer County Naturalization Index 1860-1958
- Larimer County Naturalization Records ; Card Indexes, 1872-1958, ca. 1872-1906
- Las Animas County Naturalization Index 1872-1915
- Moffat County, Naturalization Records Index 1912-1941
- Park County Naturalization Index 1903-1906
- Park County Naturalization Record Indexes
- Pitkin County Naturalization Records 1888-1908
- San Juan County Declarations of intention ; Card Indexes, 1878-1942, 1877-1929
- San Juan County Final Naturalization Records, 1904
- San Juan County Naturalization Records, 1880-1906
- San Juan County Naturalization Records, ca. 1882-1929
- Weld County Master Index – includes Naturalizations
- Yuma County Court Naturalization Index
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Colorado Links, click on the category of interest: