Alumni records are part directories, part newspapers, and magazines, part biographies, part obituaries, part yearbooks, part vital records, etc. You get the idea. If you are seeking genealogy clues, these “records’ are full of them. All of the information is derivative, but it can provide leads for you to search for original documents. And if you are documenting a person’s family story, well, there’s a ton of that kind of information too.
So what am I including in Alumni Records?
- Alumni directories
- Alumni registers
- Alumni newsletters, bulletins, newspapers, and magazines
- Commencement programs
And what information is available in them?
- Graduation dates and degree(s) received
- Current photos and/or those of their family
- Current address lists
- Where are they now and what are they doing?
- Obituaries and “In Memoriam”
- Children born to the alumnus
- Deaths in their family
- Life achievements and awards
- Interesting stories about the alumnus and their family
Below is a list of links to free online alumni record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
(Updated September 2023)
District of Columbia Alumni Records
- American University Alumni News
- American University Commencement Programs
- George Washington University Alumni News
- George Washington University Commencement Ceremonies
- George Washington University Magazine
- Georgetown Law School Commencement Programs
- Georgetown University Alumni News
- Georgetown University, 1789-1907, its Founders, Benefactors, Officers, Instructors and Alumni
- Georgetown University, McDonough School of Business Alumni Magazine
- Georgetown University, Proceedings of the 1st Annual Reunion of the Society of Alumni
- Howard University Alumni Magazine
- University of District of Columbia Magazine
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!