Cemetery records and cemeteries, in general, are a very large part of our family history and are a significant pursuit for many genealogists. Sometimes, the information on a headstone is the only information available for certain ancestors.
What can you find in these records? How about birth, marriage, and death information and clues to military service, religion, and organization memberships. Location of the burial plot, tombstone inscriptions, cemetery maps, sexton registers, and headstone photos are also generally available.
Here are a few good primers on the benefits of searching cemetery records:
- FamilySearch – United States Cemeteries
- A Gravesite Can Reveal Remarkable Details About Your Ancestor, IF You Can Find It: Here’s How
- Rootsweb – Cemetery Records
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Below are links to cemetery, burial, and interment records as well as indexes and tombstone inscriptions that are available for free online.
- African American Cemeteries.com
- Billion Graves Index
- Find A Grave Index
- Names in Stone Cemetery Maps
- United States, Cemetery Abstracts, 1949-1969
- US GenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- Veteran’s Nationwide Gravesite Locator
District of Columbia
- Congressional Cemetery, Cemetery Records, 1820-1988
- DAR Genealogical Collection (includes cemeteries), ca. 1700-1900
- District of Columbia Cemeteries – Find a Grave
- District of Columbia Cemeteries, Register of Burials, 1847-1938
- Glenwood Cemetery Records Search, 1854-2013
- Glenwood Cemetery Records, 1854-2013
- Historic graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia
- Holy Rood Cemetery
- Olivet Cemetery
- Oak Hill Cemetery, Burial Records
- Washington DC Cemetery Records – Interment.net
- Washington Hebrew Congregation, Interment list, 1856-1911
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free District of Columbia Links, click on the category of interest: