Do you research school records? I’m not talking about yearbooks. Those can be found on the Yearbooks Page. I’m talking about actual school records, such as enrollment, attendance, and grade reports for example. These are interesting source documents because they might record the students age, birth date and location, and possibly their parents names. All great ways to find this information if you haven’t found them in other documents about your target ancestor. Besides, finding out your grandmother’s grades would be interesting!
The record collection links, listed below, feature school records from the state, and list collections of records that are available for free online.
If you wish to get educated with some basic information regarding what is available and how to navigate your research for school records, you can read these summaries:
- 5 Quick Tips to Get the Most Out of Education Records
- Top 10 Strategies for Finding School Records for Genealogy
- Getting Started With School Records for Genealogy Research
So, what types of records related to schools are maintained and often available?
- School Census
- School Catalogs
- Teacher’s Registers
- Attendance Records
- Report Cards
- Class Logs
- Teacher Rosters
- School Board Meetings/Reports
- Academic Team and Class Photos
- Local Newspaper Articles:
- – Graduation Lists
- – School Activities
- – School Sports
- Student Newspapers
- Alumni Directories and Publications
- Yearbook Indexes
And, what types of information can you derive from these school records?
- Name (often includes middle name which is useful).
- Physical Characteristics – color/race, disability.
- Birth Date
- Current Residence Address
- Name of Father
- Name of Mother
- Occupations of parents
- Classes Taken
- Activities (from Photos)
- Date left school (can help with family residence relocation)
Below is a list of links to free online school record collections for the state;
Note: Some of the links go to sites with not much information and some go to sites with an extensive set of records.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated March, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Adams County Schools, Class of 1912
- Allen County Students from School Souvenir Booklet Collection
- Allen County, Indiana School directory
- Allen County, One-Room School Records, 1858-1958
- Allen County, Tri State College Alumni pre-1952
- Annual catalogue of the Officers, Faculty, and Students of the University of Notre Dame,.
- Blackford County, Record of Teachers’ Examinations,1904-1913
- Catalogue of Hanover College
- Fort Wayne High School Alumni, 1865-1912
- Fort Wayne, Luther Institute Graduates (1918-1935)
- Fort Wayne, Miner School Histories, 1886-1962
- Franklin College Alumni Register, 1910, 1912, 1918
- Fulton County, School Enumeration Record, 1896
- Grassy Fork Township : Jackson County, History for its Schools
- Greencastle, DePauw University, Alumnal Register of Officers, Faculties and Graduates, 1837-1900
- Harrison County, Miscellaneous School Records
- Indiana University, A list of its Students from 1820 to 1887
- Indiana University, Register of Graduates, 1830-1910
- Indianapolis Public Schools, Records and Photos
- Indianapolis, Historical Sketch of the German-English Independent School
- Memories of classmates from the Merrillville High School class of 1953, Merrillville, Indiana
- Monroe County, Yearbook Surname Index of Local Schools
- Montgomery County, School Records and Photos
- Newton County, Miscellaneous School Records and Photos
- Northern Indiana Normal School Student Account Books, 1895-1900
- Ohio County, Rising Sun High School Graduates, 1875-1910
- Orange County, Miscellaneous School Records and Photos
- Parke County, Miscellaneous School Records
- Purdue University directory : 1929-1930
- Randolph County School Administration Records, 1909-1918
- Randolph County, Residents in the Indiana Boys School, the Indiana Industrial School for Girls, and the Indiana Reformatory for Women
- Ripley Township Schools, Montgomery County
- Sullivan County, Dugger High School Graduates 1930-Present
- Sullivan County, North Central High School Graduates 1960-Present
- Sullivan County, Sullivan High School Graduating Class (1882-Present)
- Tippecanoe County, Miscellaneous School Records
- Vernon High School Miscellaneous Class Photos
- Wabash College, Annual Catalogue of the Officers and Students
- Wabash County, High School Graduates and Alumni Lists
- Washington Township, Allen County, Records of Lincoln School, 1923-1935
- Washington Township, Record of Attendance, Schools, 1881-1914
- Washington Township; Blackford County; Daily School Register and Teacher’s Report Record 1878
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Indiana Links, click on the category of interest: