Alumni records are part directories, part newspapers, and magazines, part biographies, part obituaries, part yearbooks, part vital records, etc. You get the idea. If you are seeking genealogy clues, these “records’ are full of them. All of the information is derivative, but it can provide leads for you to search for original documents. And if you are documenting a person’s family story, well, there’s a ton of that kind of information too.
So what am I including in Alumni Records?
- Alumni directories
- Alumni registers
- Alumni newsletters, bulletins, newspapers, and magazines
- Commencement programs
And what information is available in them?
- Graduation dates and degree(s) received
- Current photos and/or those of their family
- Current address lists
- Where are they now and what are they doing?
- Obituaries and “In Memoriam”
- Children born to the alumnus
- Deaths in their family
- Life achievements and awards
- Interesting stories about the alumnus and their family
Below is a list of links to free online alumni record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated October 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Asbury Alumni Publications
- Asbury University, Alumni, In Memoriam
- Berea College Magazine Archive
- Campbellsville University, Alumni Magazine
- Eastern Kentucky University, The Eastern Alumnus Magazine
- Georgetown College, GC Alumni Magazine Archives
- Kentucky School of Medicine, Commencement Program
- Louisville Male High School, First Hundred Years
- Morehead State University, Alumni Publications
- Northern Kentucky University, Alumni Magazine
- Northern Kentucky University, Chase College of Law, Alumni Magazine
- Russell High School, Alumni Newsletters
- Union College Alumnus Magazine Archives
- University of Kentucky Alumni Magazine Archives
- University of Kentucky Commencement Programs and Invitations
- University of Kentucky, Kentucky Alumnus Magazine
- University of the Cumberlands, Alumni Magazine
- Western Kentucky University Commencement Programs
- Western Kentucky University, Alumni Spirit Magazine Archives
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!