Alumni records are part directories, part newspapers, and magazines, part biographies, part obituaries, part yearbooks, part vital records, etc. You get the idea. If you are seeking genealogy clues, these “records’ are full of them. All of the information is derivative, but it can provide leads for you to search for original documents. And if you are documenting a person’s family story, well, there’s a ton of that kind of information too.
So what am I including in Alumni Records?
- Alumni directories
- Alumni registers
- Alumni newsletters, bulletins, newspapers, and magazines
- Commencement programs
And what information is available in them?
- Graduation dates and degree(s) received
- Current photos and/or those of their family
- Current address lists
- Where are they now and what are they doing?
- Obituaries and “In Memoriam”
- Children born to the alumnus
- Deaths in their family
- Life achievements and awards
- Interesting stories about the alumnus and their family
Below is a list of links to free online alumni record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated October 2021; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Atlantic Cape Community College Alumni Newsletter
- Bloomfield College Commencement Programs
- Caldwell University Alumni News
- Gill St. Bernard’s School Alumni Magazine
- Livingston College Alumni News
- Livingston College Commencement Programs
- Monmouth University Magazine
- Montclair State University Alumni Magazine
- Morristown-Beard School Alumni Magazine
- New Jersey Institute of Technology Magazine
- Notre Dame High School Alumni Notes
- Princeton Theological Seminary, Alumni Necrology Report
- Ramapo College of New Jersey Alumni Newsletter
- Rowan University Magazine
- Rutgers College (originally Queen’s College), Catalogue of the Officers and Alumni, 1766-1916
- Rutgers College, Alumni and Students, 1900, 1090, 1910, 1914
- Rutgers Law School Alumni Newsletters
- Rutgers University Alumni & Community Engagement Publications
- Rutgers University Magazine
- Saint Peter’s University Magazine
- Seton Hall Law Alumni Magazine
- Seton Hall Law School Alumni Magazine
- Stevens Institute of Technology Commencement Programs
- Stockton University Alumni Journal
- The College of New Jersey Magazine
- William Paterson University Magazine
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free New Jersey Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills