One of the main goals for genealogists is finding marriage information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians and archivists, a great number of indexes to marriage collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific marriage license, bond, and certificate information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual marriage documents themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include marriage information that are not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information.
The lists below are specific marriage indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state of Hawaii.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated November 2021):
- Hawaii County Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Hawaii Genealogy Indexes
- Hawaii Index to Archives of Marriage Records, 1826-1910
- Hawaii Marriages, 1826-1922
- Hawaii State Archives, Vital Statistics Collection
- Hawaii Marriages, 1826-1954
- Hawaiian Electronic Library Marriages and Deaths 1826-1929
- Honolulu County Marriages
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Certificates and Licenses, 1846-1900
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Register of Charles Frederick Hart, 1863-1865
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Register of Rev. Cowan, 1837-1879
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Register of Rev. D. Baldwin, 1832-1835
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Register of Rev. Titus Coan, 1837-1882
- Island of Hawaii Marriage Registers of Rev. L. Lyons, 1833-1886
- Island of Hawaii Register of Marriages performed by G. W. A. Hapai, 1887-1896
- Island of Hawaii Register of Marriages performed by Rev. Elias Bond, North Kohola, 1852-1887
- Island of Hawaii Register of Marriages performed by Rev. O. H. Gulick, 1862-1869
- Island of Hawaii Register of Marriages, 1844-1865
- Island of Hawaii Registers of Birth, Marriage and Death, 1841-1896
- Island of Hawaii Reports of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1851-1896
- Kauai County Marriages
- Maui County Marriage Records
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- United States Marriages, 1733-1990
- United States, Freedmen’s Bureau Marriages, 1861-1872
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Maui
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Oahu
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Hawaii, Kauai, Molokai, and Niihau
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Hawaii Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills