One of the main goals for genealogists is finding marriage information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists, a great number of indexes to marriage collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific marriage license, bond, and certificate information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual marriage documents themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include marriage information that is not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 27 Ways to Find Ancestor Marriage Information.
The lists below are specific marriage indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state of North Dakota.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated March 2023)
South Dakota Marriage Records
- Bon Homme County Marriages
- Brule County Marriage Records
- Brule County, Marriage Indexes
- Cheyenne River Agency Agency Records, 1869-1951
- Crow Creek Agency Record of Marriage Licenses–Crow Creek Agency, 1888-1922
- Crow Creek, Indian Census Rolls, 1886-1942
- Faulk County, Marriages
- Jones County, Marriages
- Kingsbury County Marriages 1883-1886
- Kingsbury County, Marriage Indexes
- Lake County Marriages
- Lawrence County, Church Vital Records, 1902-1949
- Lawrence County, Deadwood, Church Vital Records, 1877–1966
- Lyman County Marriage Indexes
- Mellette County, Marriages
- Minnehaha County Marriage Records 1872-1887
- Minnehaha, Marriage Index Files
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- Pennington County Marriage Index
- Pennington County. Marriages, 1887-1899
- Pine Ridge Agency Family statistics ledger, late 1800’s – early 1900’s
- Pine Ridge Agency Marriage Records, 1888-1936
- Rosebud Agency Marriage Licenses, 1906-1917
- Sioux Falls, Surname Index, ca.1700-1990
- South Dakota, Department of Health, Index to Births 1843-1914 and Marriages 1950-2016
- Spotted Tail Agency Marriage Register, 1847-1878
- Spotted Tail Agency, Tribal Census, 1877-1942
- Standing Rock Agency Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1880-1942
- Todd County Marriage License Records – Rosebud Reservation
- Tripp County, Marriages
- Turner County Marriages
- United States Marriages, 1733-1990
- United States, Freedmen’s Bureau Marriages, 1861-1872
For all Free South Dakota Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills