One of the main goals for genealogists is finding marriage information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians and archivists, a great number of indexes to marriage collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific marriage license, bond, and certificate information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual marriage documents themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include marriage information that are not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information.
The lists below are specific marriage indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state of North Dakota.
Note 1: Many of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. In many cases there is a link to the digital collection in the middle of the page, but also near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. Please also note that I have listed below only databases that are accessible digitally from your computer (or tablet/phone)
Note 2: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated April, 2021; recently added links are in BOLD):
- Bon Homme County Marriages
- Brule County Marriage Records
- Brule County, Marriage Indexes
- Cheyenne River Agency Agency Records, 1869-1951
- Clark County Marriages
- Crow Creek Agency Record of Marriage licenses–Crow Creek Agency, 1888-1922
- Faulk County, Marriages
- Jones County, Marriages
- Kingsbury County Marriages 1883-1886
- Kingsbury County, Marriage Indexes
- Lake County Marriages
- Lyman County Marriage Indexes
- Mellette County, Marriages
- Minnehaha County Marriage Records 1872-1887
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- Pennington County Marriage Index
- Pine Ridge Agency Family statistics ledger, late 1800’s – early 1900’s
- Pine Ridge Agency Marriage Records, 1888-1936
- Rosebud Agency Marriage Licenses, 1906-1917
- South Dakota County Marriage Records
- South Dakota, Department of Health, Index to Births 1843-1914 and Marriages 1950-2016
- Spotted Tail Agency Marriage Register, 1847-1878
- Standing Rock Agency Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1880-1942
- Todd Coumty Marriage License Records – Rosebud Reservation
- Tripp County, Marriages
- Turner County Marriages
- United States Marriages, 1733-1990
- United States, Freedmen’s Bureau Marriages, 1861-1872
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free South Dakota Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills