Do you research naturalization records? No? Why not? Does the thought of going through paper files in dusty court basements turn you off? Well – I’m here to tell you that it is worth it – and with recent digitization efforts – more and more original documents have been scanned and been made available via microfilm or online.
Some of the larger subscription sites have also made some source documents available – as well as index cards that can lead you to the court that handled the proceedings.
If you wish to get educated first about all of these documents and the naturalization process and how it has changed over time – please read these two terrific summaries:
- The U.S. Archives Naturalization Records
- FamilySearch’s Wiki entry United States Naturalization and Citizenship
- Women and Naturalization
Okay – now that you are educated and know that post-1906 – about 4 awesome documents just drip with great information: Declaration of Intent, Petition for Citizenship or Naturalization, Certificate of Arrival, and the Certificate of Naturalization. Many of the online genealogy websites may not have all of these documents available, but do have index cards that are searchable – which have information regarding the court handling the proceedings. With this information, you might be able to track down some of the source documents.
Below is a list of links to free online naturalization record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated September 2021; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Bradley County, Naturalization petitions, 1909-1919
- Chattanooga, Naturalization Records 1907-1933
- Davidson County, Naturalizations, 1871-1902
- Douglas County, Declarations of Intention, 1882-1943; Naturalization Records, 1885-1943; miscellaneous Stub Books, 1896-1943
- Edmunds County, Declarations of Intention, 1883-1952; Naturalization Records, 1885-1954; miscellaneous Records, 1941-1954
- Fall River County, Declarations of Intention, 1905-1929; Naturalization Records, 1907-1954; miscellaneous,1929-1954
- Faulk County, Declarations of Intention, 1918-1942; repatriations 1930-1942; Naturalization Records, 1884-1946; miscellaneous Records (Stub Books), 1920-1925
- Franklin County, Citizenship Records, 1846-1918
- Gibson County, Gibson County Naturalization Records, 1850-1896
- Grainger County, Circuit Court Records,, 1810-1915
- Grant County, Declarations of Intention, 1895-1955; Naturalization Records, 1881-1951; miscellaneous Records, 1941-1953
- Greene County, Naturalization Records, 1855-1896
- Greenville, Naturalization Records, 1913-1944
- Gregory County, Declarations of Intention, 1898-1945; Naturalization Records, 1898-1952; and other Records 1880-1966
- Hamlin County, Declarations of Intention, 1880-1942; Naturalization Records, 1885-1904
- Hand County, Declarations of Intention, 1882-1942, Naturalization and petition Records, 1884-1945, and Stub Books, 1907-1928
- Hanson County, Declarations of Intention 1901-1941, Naturalization Records 1904, and petition Records 1908-1946
- Harding County, Declarations of Intention, 1909-1940, Naturalization Records, 1909-1942
- Hughes County, Naturalization Records 1881-1906, Indexes 1876-1944, Declarations of Intention 1906-1956 and final papers 1882-1954
- Hughes County, Naturalization Records, 1892
- Hutchinson County Naturalizations Index
- Obion County, Obion County, Civil cases, 1823-1900 ; indexes, 1823-1885
- Shelby County, Naturalization Records, 1856-1906
- Tennessee : Eastern District, Naturalization Records, 1891-1929; index, 1907-1941
- Tennessee, Eastern District, Index to naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1888-1955
- Tennessee, Minute books for the U.S. District Court for West Tennessee, 1797-1839 and of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, 1839-1865
- Union City, Naturalization 1830-1884
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Tennessee Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills