What can you find in these records? Obviously the dates and location of the divorce proceeding, the date and location of the marriage, the woman’s maiden name, names of minor children, and the reason for the divorce. The reason can not only provide another part of your ancestor’s story, but also may lead to more clues, especially in the case of desertion, where you may be able to find the location that the “deserting” party moved to.
WARNING: Some of the information in the Divorce Petitions may be difficult to read. There may be shocking claims, especially related to your ancestors’ physical and emotional cruelty, or other behavior. Be prepared.
In most cases, I did not include the links to County Courts, where most divorce records are now processed and the documents held. But these divorce documents for most states are partially held in either state archives or county clerk records. So you may wish to avail yourself of these county clerk an court archives, especially those that can be searched online.
Note: Please be aware that if you find a desired divorce record in an index, that the holder of the actual materials (e.g., archive, county court, etc.) may charge a small fee to send you a copy of the material itself.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. Make sure that you are logged in to the site, so that the collections that are browsable from anywhere will be displayed.
Below are links to the state’s divorce record and index collections that are available for free online.
(Updated March, 2021; recently added links are in BOLD):
- Beaver County, Land Records, Divorce Records and Estate Records
- Box Elder County, Divorce Records, 1875-1876
- Box Elder County, Index to Civil Actions, 1893-1978
- Box Elder County, Utah Newspaper card Index : historical, biographical, Vital Records
- Central Utah, Heart Mountain, Manzanar, Minidoka, Divorces
- Davis County Divorce Registers of Actions. 1877, 1880.
- Davis County, Divorce Records, 1875-1886
- Davis County, Probate Court Divorce Case Files Index, 1875-1886
- Millard County, Probate Court Records, 1870-1910
- Salt Lake City Deseret News clippings : Index [of] births, Divorces, Marriages, bankruptcies, birthdays, golden weddings, 1968
- Salt Lake City Salt Lake Tribune engagements, Marriage licenses, weddings, anniversaries, Divorces extracted from Salt Lake Tribune
- Salt Lake County Divorce Decrees Index 1876-1877
- Salt Lake County, Civil and criminal Case Files, 1852-1968
- Salt Lake County, Divorce Records, 1852-1856, 1877-1887
- Sanpete County, Probate Court Records, 1852-1896
- Sevier County, 3rd District Court Probate Case Files, 1899-1920
- Sevier County, 6th District Court Probate Case Files, 1865-1927
- Tooele County, Probate Divorce Docket : 1874-1878
- Utah County, Divorce Actions, 1896-1986
- Utah, State Archives Records, 1848-2001
- Weber County Probate Records and minute Books for Second Judicial District Court, 1896-1909
- Weber County, Civil and criminal Case Files, 1852-1882
- Weber County, Index to Civil Actions, 1851-1969
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Utah Links, click on the category of interest: