Alumni records are part directories, part newspapers and magazines, part biographies, part obituaries, part yearbooks, part vital records, etc. You get the idea. If you are seeking genealogy clues, these “records’ are full of them. All of the information is derivative, but it can provide leads for you to search for original documents. And if you are documenting a person’s family story, well, there’s a ton of that kind of information too.
So what am I including in Alumni Records?
- Alumni directories
- Alumni registers
- Alumni newsletters, bulletins, newspapers, and magazines
- Commencement programs
And what information is available in them?
- Graduation dates and degree(s) received
- Current photos and/or those of their family
- Current address lists
- Where are they now and what are they doing?
- Obituaries and “In Memoriam”
- Children born to the alumnus
- Deaths in their family
- Life achievements and awards
- Interesting stories about the alumnus and their family
Below is a list of links to free online alumni record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated October, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Alumni Record, West Virginia University, 1903
- Bethany College Alumni Magazine
- Glenville State College Alumni Newsletter
- Marshall University Alumni Newsletter
- Marshall University Commencement Programs
- Potomac State College Alumni Newsletter
- West Virginia State College 37th Annual Commencement Program, ca. May 1932
- West Virginia State University Commencement Programs
- West Virginia University College of Engineering, Register of Faculty, Alumni and Students, 1919-1922
- West Virginia University Commencement Programs
- West Virginia University Magazine
- West Virginia University, Alumni Record, 1917
- West Virginia Wesleyan College, Alumni Directory, 1909
- WVU Alumni Magazine
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free West Virginia Links, click on the category of interest: