Another underutilized genealogy resource is Church Records. We tend to focus our research on civil records, but need to be aware that often church records pre-dated civil records and are a great resource as well. In the BMD Records section of this website, there are about 15,000 collections of civil records that are available online. Yes, that’s a lot, but we need to also search church records as well.
What can we find in church or synagogue records? Here’s just a shortlist of what nuggets we can find:
Baptisms and Christenings
Bar or Bat Mitzvahs
Sunday School lists
In addition, many folks also documented important events in family bibles, so they need to be searched as well if the event information has been digitized.
Here are a couple of articles that you might find useful:
There is a large number of Free Online Church Record collections; the links for the state are below:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated March 2020; recently added links are in BOLD):
- Afton, Lincoln County, Sexton records,
- Cheyenne Church Records : First Congregational Church [1869-1908], First Presbyterian Church records, 1870-1912 [and] Methodist Church, 1868-1901
- Cheyenne, First Presbyterian Church,Records 1870-1913
- Cheyenne, Records of Cheyenne Methodist Church, 1868-1901
- Cheyenne, Records of the First Congregational Church
- Evanston, Uinta County, Sexton records
- Laramie, Baptismal records – St. Paul’s
- Laramie, Church Records,: Presbyterian Church baptisms, 1870-1910, Methodist Episcopal Church baptisms, 1873-1909, St. Paul’s Evangelical Church confirmation, 1887-1918
- Laramie, First Baptist Church membership roll, 1870-1884
- Laramie, Membership roll of the First Baptist Church
- Laramie, St. Matthew’s Cathedral, Episcopal Church, Parish Register
- Laramie, St. Paul’s Evangelical, Baptismal records, Dec., 1886-1900
- Sweetwater County, Finnish Church Books
- Wyoming Church and Family Records
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Wyoming Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills