For those of you who have Protestant ancestors in your family tree, there are lots of newspapers that have been published in the past that may help you find some information and stories about your ancestors. So not only are the city or town newspapers great to research, but also the “specialty” newspapers, such as church newspapers, for example.
Take a look at these sites and search them for info about your ancestors. If you know of any others, please let me know in the comments.
(Updated February 2023; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Methodist Christian Advocate (obituary index)
- Alabama Christian Advocate (obituary index)
- Christian Herald
- Alabama Baptist Index
- South Western Baptist
- California Southern Baptist 1901-1916
- The Pacific Congregational
- California Southern Baptist Convention Digital Archive
- Berkeley – Right On!
District of Columbia
- Washington – Christian Examiner 2003-2017
- Atlanta, Ga., 1909-1931 – The Presbyterian of the South : [combining the] Southwestern Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Southern Presbyterian. [volume]
- Atlanta, 1963-current – The Georgia bulletin
- Atlanta, Ga., 186?-1??? – The Baptist banner.
- Atlanta, Ga., 186?-186? – The Banner and Baptist.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1863-1??? – The soldier’s friend.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1866-1871 – Christian index and South-western Baptist.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1869-???? – The Methodist advocate.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1872-1881 – The Christian index.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1881-???? – The Atlanta universalist.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1881-1892 – The Christian index and southern Baptist.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1906-1915 – The Golden age.
- Atlanta, Ga., 1909-1931 – The Presbyterian of the South : [combining the] Southwestern Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Southern Presbyterian.
- Augusta, Ga., 1864-1865 – The Pacificator.
- Augusta, Ga., 1920-1957 – The bulletin
- Covington, Ga., 1851-1862 – Southern Baptist messenger.
- Cumming, Ga., 18??-1??? – The Baptist banner.
- Gainesville, Ga., 1887-1??? – The Baptist sun.
- Guyton, Ga., 18??-current – The Baptist reporter.
- Macon, Ga., 18??-18?? – Southern Christian advocate.
- Macon, Ga., 1831-18?? – Georgia Christian repertory.
- Macon, Ga., 1863-1865 – Army and Navy herald.
- Macon, Georgia, 1872-1886 – Kind words for the Sunday school children.
- Monroe, Ga., 1958-1958 – The Savannah bulletin.
- Monroe, Ga., 1958-1962 – Bulletin
- Mt. Zion, Hancock County, Ga., 1819-182? – The missionary.
- Rome, Ga., 1859-186? – Landmark banner & Cherokee Baptist.
- Savannah, Ga., 1875-1877 – Southern cross.
- Valdosta, Ga., 1893-1918 – The Pilgrim’s banner.
- Washington, Ga., 1835-1866 – The Christian index.
- Baptist Banner
- Georgia Reporter And Christian Gazette
- Mount Zion Presbyterian Church
- Covington GA Southern Baptist Messenger
- Penfield GA Christian Index
- Presbyterian of the South (Atlanta, 1909-1922)
- The Standard 1900-1910 Baptist
- Our youth, a paper for young people and their teachers 1901-1908 Methodist
- The Interior 1893-1922 Presbyterian
- The Advance 1903-1911 Congregationalist
- Western Cumberland Presbyterian
- Illinois Christian Advocate
- Methodist Publications 1971-2016
- Anderson – Gospel Trumpet
- Anderson – Vital Christianity
- Marion County – The Baptist Record
- Webster County – The Fort Dodge Methodist
- Arcadia – The Christian Worker
- Arkansas City – Christian Speculator
- Atchison – The Atchison Church Visitor
- Belleville – Belleville Christian
- Chapman – Christian Endeavor
- Chase – Church Worker
- Dodge City – Our Methodist
- Douglass – Church Record
- El Dorado – Church Messenger
- Emporia – Christian Visitant
- Eureka – The Lutheran
- Fort Scott – The Christian Sower
- Fort Scott – The Church Advocate and Holiness Banner
- Fort Scott – The Church Herald and Holiness Banner
- Galena – The Christian Polemic
- Garnett – The Presbyterian Church Bulletin
- Great Bend – Christian Educator and God’s Defender
- Greensburg – The Christian
- Harper – The Christian Helper
- Hutchinson – The Christian Bugle
- Hutchinson – The Church Messenger
- Junction City – Junction City Methodist
- Junction City – The Methodist
- Kanopolis – The Kansas Methodist
- Kansas City – The Church Life
- Kansas City – The Methodist Record
- Lindsborg – The Christian Messenger
- Lindsborg – The Kansas Young Lutheran
- Manhattan – Kansas Methodist Times
- Manhattan – Kansas Presbyter
- Manhattan – Manhattan District Methodist and World-Wide Mission
- Manhattan – Manhatten Methodist
- Manhattan – Methodist Student
- Minneapolis – The Church Gleaner
- Oswego – The Kansas Christian Advocate
- Peabody – Church of the New Jerusalem
- Salina – The Open Church
- Smith Center – Norton District Methodist
- South Haven – Methodist Lever
- Stockton – Christian Call
- Tonganoxie – The Christian Recruiter
- Topeka – Christian Church Helper
- Topeka – First Methodist
- Topeka – Kansas Church Tidings
- Topeka – Kansas Methodist-Chautauqua
- Topeka – Methodist News
- Topeka – Midland Christian Advocate
- Topeka – Monthly Christian Blade
- Topeka – North Topeka Christian Messenger
- Topeka – The Christian Blade
- Topeka – The Christian Citizen
- Topeka – The Christian Courier
- Topeka – The Christian News
- Topeka – The Church News
- Topeka – The Kansas Methodist
- Topeka – The Kansas United Presbyterian
- Topeka – The Presbyterian News
- Topeka – Topeka First Presbyterian
- Topeka – Western Cumberland Presbyterian
- Walton – Church Herald
- Wamego – The Presbyterian Herald
- Wellington – The Christian Reminder
- Wellington – The Primitive Christian
- Wichita – Christian Companion
- Wichita – Christian Helper
- Wichita – Christian Worker
- Wichita – Kansas Presbyterian
- Wichita – Primitive Christian
- Wichita – The Church Builder and Western Evangelist
- Wichita – Western Methodist
- Winfield – The Christian Herald
- Christlicher Bundesbote
- Louisville American Baptist 1879-19??
- Afro-American mission herald (The) – (1900-05-01 – 1901-01-01) (4 Issues, 24 Pages)
- American Baptist – (1903-04-10 – 1904-12-23) (37 Issues, 148 Pages)
- Blue-grass blade – (1886-02-06 – 1910-08-21) (428 Issues, 2895 Pages)
- Christian observer (Louisville, Ky.) – (1870-07-20 – 1870-09-07) (6 Issues, 24 Pages)
- Christian observer and free Christian commonwealth – (1869-12-08 – 1870-01-19) (2 Issues, 8 Pages)
- Free Christian commonwealth – (1865-03-23 – 1868-07-16) (33 Issues, 98 Pages)
- Free Christian commonwealth – (1861-03-30 – 1861-03-30) (1 issue, 2 Pages)
- Lexington record (The) – (1890-10-01 – 1891-05-01) (16 Issues, 64 Pages)
- Presbyterian herald – (1851-07-17 – 1861-06-28) (4 Issues, 16 Pages)
- Western Presbyterian – (1865-08-10 – 1867-09-26) (8 Issues, 32 Pages)
- Louisville KY Christian Commonwealth
- Louisville KY American Baptist
- Louisville Western Presbyterian
- Louisville – Baptist Argus/Baptist World
- Pentecostal Herald
- Lexington – Western Luminary
- American Baptist (Louisville, Ky.) (37 issues)
- Christian Observer (Louisville, Ky.) (6 issues)
- Christian Observer And Free Christian Commonwealth (2 issues)
- Free Christian Commonwealth (41 issues)
- New Orleans Advocate
- New Orleans Christian Advocate
- Southwestern Christian Advocate (New Orleans)
- Southwestern Christian Advocate
- Southwestern Advocate
- Christian Intelligencer and Eastern Chronicle (1827-1834) – Gardiner, Maine
- Congregationalist 1892-1901
- Christian Intelligencer and Eastern Chronicle
- Baltimore – Lutheran Observer
- Baltimore – Church Advocate
- Banner of the Church 1831-1832 Episcopal
- Christian Register
- The Watchman 1902-1904 Baptist
- Boston MA Christian Science Monitor 1908-1925
- Adventist Review and Herald 1850-1988 Seventh Day Adventist
- Clinton – The Baptist Record
- The Western Messenger 1836-1840 Baptist
- St. Louis Christian Advocate 1857-1879 Methodist
- The Independence Evening and the Morning Star 1832-1834 LDS
- Christian Evangelist 1901-1904
- Word and Way and Central Baptist
- Lutheran Witness
- New York Observer 1898-1912 Presbyterian
- American Messenger 1912-1921
- The Christian Work and the Evangelist 1881-1910
- Cayuga – Auburn NY Christian Advocate (1845-1878 )
- Cayuga – Auburn NY Christian Ambassador (1859-1861)
- New York NY Christian Intelligencer
- Progressive Christian
- Family Journal and Christian Philanthropist
- Methodist Reformer
- Fayetteville, Onondaga Co., N.Y., 1839-1841 – Fayetteville luminary, and Reformed Methodist intelligencer.
- Gospel Advocate and Impartial Investigator
- Northern Christian Advocate
- Christian Intelligencer 1920
- Baptist Informer
- Biblical Recorder
- Biblical Recorder 1834-1970 Baptist
- Atlantic Christian College Student Newspaper
- Methodist University Student Newspaper
- Wilmington, N.C., 1879-1938 – Africo-American Presbyterian. [volume]
- Africo-American Presbyterian (Wilmington, N.C.)
- Ashe Presbyterian
- Presbyterian Junior College Student Newspaper
- Ashe Presbyterian (Presbyterian Church newspaper)
- The Blue Ridge Baptist (North Wilkesboro, N.C.)
- The Baptist Messenger (Newton, N.C.)
- The Baptist Messenger (Wingate, N.C.)
- The Baptist Sunday School Monthly (Henderson, N.C.)
- The Baptist Worker (Gastonia, N.C.)
- Carolina Baptist (Hendersonville, N.C.)
- The Free Will Baptist (Ayden, N.C.)
- Gaston County Baptist Messenger (Gastonia, N.C.)
- North Carolina Baptist Missionary Worker (Raleigh, N.C.)
- North Carolina Baptist Sunday School Chautauquan (Raleigh, N.C.)
- North Carolina Christian Advocate (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Southwide Baptist News and Ridgecrest Reporter (Marshall, N.C.)
- The Helper (Wilmington, N.C.)
- The Stanly Baptist (Big Lick, N.C.)
- West Chowan Baptist Messenger (Winton, N.C.)
- Tarborough – Primitive Baptist
- Wilson – Zion’s Landmark
- Highland Churchman
- Hendersonville – Carolina Baptist News
- Gospel Herald
- Oberlin Evangelist 1838-1862
- Ohio State Monitor
- The Brethren’s Evangelist
- Religious Telescope 1898-1908 Church of the United Brethren in Christ
- The Western Christian Advocate 1897-1909 Methodist
- Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church
- The Ohio State Monitor
- The American Issue – 62
- The American Methodist – 32
- The Oklahoma Christian – 158
- The Oklahoma Clipper – 33
- Oklahoma Evangelist – 1
- The Oklahoma Safeguard – 84
- Our Brother in Red – 174
- The Socialist Antidote Independent – 17
- The Star Of Hope – 4
- The Truth – 22
- The Western World – 42
- Zions–Bote – 315
- Baptist Informer
- Creek Baptist Herald
- Fort Gibson Baptist Evangel
- Indian Methodist
- The Baptist Sunday School Evangel
- The Gospel Missionary
- Monmouth, Or., 1870-1877 – The Christian messenger.
- Monmouth, Or., 1877-1881 – Pacific Christian messenger.
- Portland ;, 1882-18?? – Christian herald.
- American Presbyterian 1/5/1860 – 12/30/1869*
- Presbyterian Banner and Advocate 9/27/1856 – 3/3/1860*
- Presbyterian Banner 3/10/1860 – 9/14/1864*
- Philadelphia – The American Presbyterian almanac and family register, for the year of our Lord … (1860-01-05 – 1869-12-30)
- Philadelphia – The American Presbyterian.
- Pittsburgh – Presbyterian banner & advocate. (1856-09-27 – 1860-03-03)
- Pittsburgh – Presbyterian banner. (1860-03-10 – 1864-09-14)
- Christian Observer (Philadelphia) 1840-1850
- Philadelphia Christian Observer Newspaper
- Harrisburg – Church Advocate
- Church Standard
- The Columbian Star and Christian Index 1829-1831
- The Lutheran Observer 1901-1904
- New Berlin – Christian Ambassador
- New Berlin – Christliche Botschafter 1840-1849
- Philadelphia – The Christian Recorder
- Christian Recorder 1861-1865, 1899-1901
- Baptist Press news releases 1948-1996
- Christian Chronicle
- Tennessee Baptist/Baptist and Reflector
- The Baptist
- Africo-American Presbyterian (1)
- Baptist Young People’s Union Assembly News (6)
- The Christian Banner
- The Christian Messenger
- The Christian Visitor
- The Gulf Coast Baptist (1)
- The Jeffersonian (34)
- The Lone Star and Southern Watch Tower (4)
- The Lone Star Lutheran (244)
- The Megaphone. (2,402)
- The Rambler (1,632)
- The Texas Baptist-Herald (2)
- The Texas Christian Advocate (1)
- The Texas Methodist (1)
- Texas Presbyterian (49)
- Lone Star Lutheran
- Texas Baptist, 1858-June 7, 1861
- Mormon Article Newspaper Index 1831-1900
- Universalist Watchman and Christian Repository 1844-1846
- Vermont Telegraph. (Brandon [Vt.]) 1828-1843
- The Presbyterian of the South
- Richmond, Va., 1856-1908 – The Central Presbyterian. [volume]
- Afro-American Churchman (Petersburg, VA, 1886-1890)
- Baptist Union (Danville, VA, 1895-1914)
- Central Presbyterian (Richmond, VA, 1856-1869)
- Children’s Friend (Richmond, VA, 1865-1884)
- Christian Observer (Richmond, VA, 1863-1864)
- Church Advocate (Baltimore, MD, 1892-1893)
- Church Bells (Richmond, VA, 1893)
- Church News (Roanoke, VA, 1934)
- Junior Life (Richmond, VA, 1916-1917)
- Missionary Weekly (Richmond, VA, 1889-1890)
- Onward (Richmond, VA, 1913-1919)
- Our Church Paper (New Market, VA, 1875-1904)
- Our Sunday School (New Market, Shenandoah County, VA, 1881)
- Presbyterian of the South (Atlanta, GA, 1909-1922)
- Primitive Baptist (Tazewell C.H., VA, 1890)
- Richmond Christian Advocate (Richmond, VA, 1841-1868)
- Roanoke Baptist Union (Danville, VA, 1888-1894)
- Tazewell Baptist (Tazewell C.H., VA, 1890)
- Watchman of the South (Richmond, VA, 1837-1844)
- Madison Hall Notes
- Southern Religious Telegraph (Richmond, VA, 1830-1835)
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
5 replies on “Historical U.S. Free Online Protestant Newspapers”
Thanks for providing this great, informative blog! Three of the Georgia papers on this page don’t have links. Will those be added eventually?
The Baptist Inquirer…published in New York during late 1800’s?
Husbands god Robert Brady publisher. Unable to locate any digital copies or where original copies located.
There are many copies of The Primitive Baptist, published in North Carolina, on archive.org.
Thanks Sharon. I’ll check it out and add to the list