For those of you who have Polish ancestry in your family tree, there are lots of Polish-American newspapers that have been published over the last hundred or so years that may help you find some information and stories about your ancestors.
In fact, according to the Library of Congress, there are exactly 240 Polish-language newspapers that have been published in the United States.
Listed below are only those that have been digitized and are available online. As always, there are tons more available via microfilm and in the original form via libraries and archives.
Please note that most listed below are free and some require a subscription or a login from a university library. Some are indexed, and some are not.
Please be aware that there are several titles that are available from more than one online collection, and the range of available dates may be different, so you might want to research all the sources.
(Updated August 2023)
- Chicago [Ill.], 1890-1971 – Dziennik Chicagoski. [volume]
- Chicago, Ill., 1892-19?? – Telegraf.
- Chicago, Ill., 1899-1923 – Dziennik narodowy.
- Chicago, Ill., 1900-1913 – Zgoda : Wydania dla niewiast. [volume]
- Chicago, Ill., 1902-1913 – Zgoda : Wydanie dla mężczyzn. [volume]
- Chicago, Ill., 1902-current – Głos polek. [volume]
- Chicago, Illinois., 1914-current – Zgoda = Unity. [volume]
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1881-1901 – Zgoda = Unity. [volume]
- Dziennik Chicagoski
- Dziennik Zwiazkowy
- Gazeta Robotnicza: organ Związku Robotników Polskich w Stanach Zjednoczonych Ameryki Północnej (1891-1893, 1894-1895)
- Gazeta Chicagowska (Dziennik Polski) (1896)
- Naród Polski: pismo tygodniowe dla Polaków w Ameryce (1897-1914)
- Baltimore, Md., 1940-194? – Czas Baltimorski.
- Polonia: tygodnik polityczny, naukowy i społeczny (1892-1896, 1903-1905, 1926)
- Winona, Minn., 1895-1919 – Wiarus.
- Winona, Minn. – Katolik
- Winona, Minn. – Wiarus
- Winona, Minn. – Wiarus
- Buffalo NY Everybodys Daily (Polish)
- Buffalo NY Polish Weekly Review
- Utica NY Slowo Polskie (The Polish Word)
- Kurier Nowojorski iBrookliński (Greater New York Courier) (1891-1892, 1898)
- Reforma: organ Ligi Polsko-Republikańskiej w Buffalo (later Reforma) (1894-1895, 1898-1901)
- Polak w Ameryce (published in Buffalo, N.Y., 1892-1901)
- Cleveland, O. [Ohio], 1923-current – Jednośc Polek = Unity of Polish women. [volume]
- Toledo, Ohio, 1889-1891 – Ameryka.
- Toledo, Ohio, 1891-1892 – Ameryka w Toledo.
- Toledo, Ohio, 1892-1892 – Ameryka w Toledo i kuryer Clevelandski.
- Toledo, Ohio, 1893-1902 – Ameryka.
- Toledo, Ohio, 1902-1971 – Ameryka echo.
- Cleveland – Wiadomosci Codzienne
- Cleveland – Jedność Polek = Unity of Polish Women – 1923-1931
- Toledo – Ameryka (1889) – 1889-1891
- Toledo – Ameryka (1893) – 1893-1902
- Toledo – Ameryka Echo – 1902-1906
- Toledo – Ameryka w Toledo i Kuryer Clevelandski – 1892-1892
- Toledo – Ameryka w Toledo – 1891-1892
- Jednośc Polek = Unity of Polish women. [volume]
- Polonia w Ameryce (1892-1900)
- Ameryka echo.
- Ameryka w Toledo i kuryer Clevelandski.
- Ameryka w Toledo.
- Kurier: organ Polonii w Toledo (1892-1894)
Library Access Only:
From their Ethnic American Newspapers from the Balch Collection, 1799-1971, there are a few Polish American newspapers available. Check with your nearby library to see if they have a subscription for this collection. Clicking on the link will provide you with a list of titles. Please understand that all of these titles listed are not Polish. There are French, German, Irish, and other ethnic groups contained in this collection.
The Polish American Club of Columbus, Ohio has published a list of more current Polish American newspapers HERE. Please be aware that this was written a few years ago, so some of the links may be broken.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!