One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, marriage, and death (BMD) information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists (as well as the largest of them all – FamilySearch), a great number of indexes to birth, marriage, and death collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific BMD information, and often scanned images of the actual birth, marriage, and death certificates themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth, marriage, and death information that are not included in the lists below. For example, newspapers, draft registration files, naturalization records, etc. have BMD info. To find out which types of other records may include BMD information, please see:
- 27 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
- 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information
- 21 Ways to Find Ancestors Death Information
The lists below are specific birth, marriage, and death indexes and record collections that are available for free online.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: There are obituary record indexes included, but are only listed if the index contains the death date, not just the date of publication of the obituary.
(Updated November 2022)
- Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959
- Canada Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955
- Canada Marriages, 1661-1949
- Canada Miscellaneous Marriages
- Birtle, Newspaper Clippings of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1944-1992
- Brandon Deaths, Cemetery, and Obituary Indexes
- Brochet, Eglise Catholique. Mission de Brochet, Registres Paroissiaux, 1846-1923
- Canadiana, Parish Registers: Manitoba
- Doukhobor Deaths in Manitoba, 1899-1935
- Early Manitoba Mennonite Church Registers
- Eastern Region Births Index
- Eastern Region Deaths Index
- Eastern Region Marriages Index
- Extracts from Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials in Rupert’s Land sent to the Governor and Committee (1820-1851)
- Extracts from Registers of Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials in Rupert’s Land
- Foxwarren, United Church of Canada, Transcription of Church Records, 1899-1981
- Gimli, First Lutheran Church, Records of the Lutheran Church of Icelandic people in Manitoba
- Manitoba Church Records, 1800-1959
- Manitoba Death Index from Yukon News
- Manitoba Soldiers killed in the First World War Index
- Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency – Birth, Marriage, and Death Index
- Manitoba Vital Statistics, Marriages
- Red River Ancestor Index
- St. Eustache, Eglise Catholique, Registres Paroissiaux, 1874-1903
- St. Francis Xavier, Burials 1834-1865
- St. François, Eglise Catholique. St. François Xavier de la Prairie duCheval Blanc, Registres Paroissiaux, 1834-1900
- Waldersee, Christ Lutheran Church, Church Records, 1894-2018
- Western Region Births Index
- Western Region Marriages Index
- Winnipeg Births Index
- Winnipeg Marriages Index
- Winnipeg, Brookside Cemetery Burial Search (index includes date of death)
- Winnipeg, First Lutheran Church, Records of the Lutheran Church of Icelandic people in Manitoba and Minnesota
- Winnipeg, First Lutheran Church, Registers of Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths and Confirmations, 1883-1950
- Winnipeg, St. Vital Cemetery Burial Search (index includes date of death)
- Winnipeg, Transcona Cemetery Burial Search (index includes date of death)
- Winnipeg, Winnipeg Unitarian Church, Marriages, 1903-1938; Baptisms, approximately 1800-1900
Check out the links for other provinces on the BMD Records page.