Institutional records are another class of collections that should be part of one’s genealogy research repertoire. Although most of your ancestors may not have spent time in an institution, I’ll bet that almost every family tree has several that have. So they are worth your effort to research.
Here are a few good primers for searching institutional records:
- FamilySearch – Institution and School Records
- Finding Your Ancestors in Poor House or Poor Farm Records
- Researching Ancestors in Asylums
What kind of institutions and types of records can we discover?
- Poor Farm
- Orphan Train
- Mental Hospital
- Institutional School
- Correctional institutions
Acquiring records from each of these types of institutions may be difficult because of privacy concerns, but they are worth the effort.
Below you will find free online institutional records you can use to help you discover more about your relatives who have spent time in an institution.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
(Updated August 2023)
Nevada Online Institutional Records
- Carson City, 1880 State Orphans Census
- Carson City, 1910 State Orphans Census
- Carson City, Nevada State Orphans Home 1900
- Carson City, Nevada State Prison Burial Ground
- Carson City, Ormsby Poor Farm Cemetery
- Carson City, Prisoner Deaths at Nevada State Prison, 1905-1989
- Churchill County, Orphans Home Records 1870-1920
- Clark County, Saint Judes Ranch for Children Columbarium
- Nevada, Mental Health Institute Death Records 1882-1949
- Nevada, Nevada State Asylum 1886 Records
- Nevada, Northern Nevada Adult Mental Health Services Cemetery
- Nevada, Prison Deaths, 1905-1989
- Nevada, Prisoner Deaths at Nevada State Prison, 1905-1989
- Nevada, World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, Prisoners, Insane, In Hospitals, 1917-1918
For all Free Nevada Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills