Nevada is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for historical newspapers, but they use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as a main site for searching old newspapers. There are some free online newspapers on other sites and collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are about 650 newspapers that have been published in the the Silver State – certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it – find your Nevada ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also, I suspect that some of these links may change over time – so if there is a dead link – please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated June 2021; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Battle Mountain, Nev., 1885-1907 – The Central Nevadan.
- Butler City [i.e. Butler], Nev., 1901-1909 – Tonopah bonanza.
- Carson City, Nev., 1865-1870 – The Carson daily appeal.
- Carson City, Nev., 1870-1872 – The Daily state register.
- Carson City, Nev., 1872-1873 – The new daily appeal. [volume]
- Carson City, Nev., 1873-1877 – Carson daily appeal.
- Carson City, Nev., 1877-1906 – Morning appeal.
- Carson City, Nev., 1906-1907 – The daily appeal.
- Carson City, Nev., 1907-1930 – Carson City daily appeal.
- East Ely, Nev., 1910-1920 – White Pine news weekly mining review.
- East Ely, Nev., 1920-1923 – White Pine news.
- Elko, Nev., 1869-1872 – The Elko independent.
- Elko, Nev., 1872-1887 – The Weekly Elko independent.
- Elko, Nev., 188?-1915 = Daily independent.
- Elko, Nev., 1887-1914 – Weekly independent.
- Elko, Nev., 1915-current – Elko independent.
- Ely, Nev., 1906-1910 – The White Pine news.
- Eureka, Nev., 1871-1887 – Eureka daily sentinel. [volume]
- Eureka, Nev., 1887-1902 – Eureka weekly sentinel.
- Eureka, Nev., 1902-current – The Eureka sentinel.
- Fallon, Nev, 1903-1908 – Churchill standard.
- Fallon, Nev., 1908-1920 – The Churchill county standard.
- Fallon, Nev., 1920-1958 – The Fallon standard.
- Gardnerville, Nev., 1898-1902 – Gardnerville record.
- Gardnerville, Nev., 1902-1904 – The Record.
- Gardnerville, Nev., 1904-current – The Record-courier.
- Genoa, Nev., 1899-1904 – The Courier.
- Gold Hill, N.T. [Nev.], 1863-1882 – Gold Hill daily news.
- Goldfield, Nev., 1904-1911 – The Goldfield news.
- Goldfield, Nev., 1911-1947 – The Goldfield news and weekly tribune.
- Hawthorne, Nev., 1883-1926 – Walker Lake bulletin.
- Las Vegas, Nev., 1905-1906 – Las Vegas times. [volume]
- Las Vegas, Nev., 1905-1947 – Las Vegas age. [volume]
- Lovelock, Nev., 1898-1912 – Lovelock tribune.
- Pioche City, Lincoln County, Nev., 1870-1872 – The Ely record.
- Pioche, Nev., 1872-1876 – Pioche daily record.
- Pioche, Nev., 1877-1900 – The Pioche weekly record.
- Pioche, Nev., 1900-1905 – Lincoln County record.
- Pioche, Nev., 1906-1908 – The Pioche weekly record.
- Pioche, Nev., 1908-1925 – The Pioche record.
- Pioche, Nevada, 1876-1876 – The Pioche tri-weekly record [volume]
- Silver City, Nev., 1874-1907 – Lyon County times. [volume]
- Tonopah, Nev., 1906-1929 – Tonopah daily bonanza.
- Treasure City, Nev., 1868-1906 – The White Pine news.
- Unionville, Nev., 1870-1903 – The Silver state. [volume]
- Wadsworth, Nev., 1892-1899 – The Wadsworth dispatch.
- Wadsworth, Nev., 1899-1904 – Wadsworth semi-weekly dispatch.
- Wadsworth, Nev., 1904-1904 – The Wadsworth dispatch.
- Winnemucca, Nev., 1903-1907 – The Daily silver state.
- Winnemucca, Nev., 1907-1909 – The Silver state news.
- Winnemucca, Nev., 1909-1925 – The Silver state.
- Yerington, Nev., 1907-1932 – Yerington times. [volume]
Google News Archive
- Hawthorne – Mineral County Independent and Hawthrone News
- Hawthorne – Mineral County Independent-News
- Las Vegas – Las Vegas Times
- Overton – Moapa Valley Progress
- Pahrump – Death Valley Gateway Gazette
- Pahrump – Mirror
- Pahrump – The Mirror
- Pahrump – Pahrump Valley Gazette
- Daily Territorial Enterprise
- The Free Press
- Goodsprings Gazette
- The Lovelock Tribune
- Reese River Reveille
- Virginia Evening Bulletin
- Virginia Evening Chronicle
- Wadsworth Dispatch
- White Pine News
- Nevada Historical Society Quarterly
- Historical Nevada Collections
County and Library Collections:
Douglas County Public Library
- Carson Valley News
- Gardnerville Record
- Genoa Courier
- Genoa Weekly Courier
- Minden Times
- Record Courier
- The Record-Courier
- Nevada Daily Appeal
- Morning Appeal
- Carson Daily Index
- Daily Index
- The Big Job
- Basic Bombardier
- Henderson Home News
- RMGC Valley View
- Smoky Valley Sentinel
- The Smoky Valley Memo
- Ely Daily Times
- The White Pine News
College of Southern Nevada – Las Vegas
Nevada State College – Henderson
Sierra Nevada College – Incline Village
Truckee Meadows Community College – Reno
University of Nevada – Reno
University of Nevada – Las Vegas
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Boulder City – Boulder Dam Beacon
- Boulder City – Boulder City Reminder (Company 573)
- Boulder City – Lake Mead Breeze (Company 573)
- Bunkerville – Cross Country Courier (Company 537)
- Cherry Creek – 1705 Blister (Company 1705)
- Ely – Indian Springs Weekly (Company 2532)
- Ely – War Whoop (Company 2532)
- Fallon – 295 Blast (Company 295)
- Moapa – Desert Whispers (Company 4419)
- Oreana – Desert Press (Company 225)
- Reno – Camp Reno Stooge (Company 258)
- Reno – Camp Reno Stooge (Company 258)
- Reno – Reno Stooge (Company 258)
- Wells – Warm Creek Whistler
- Many Smokes
Small Town Papers
- Mineral County Independent-News Hawthorne, Nevada
- Moapa Valley Progress Overton, Nevada
- Pahrump Mirror Pahrump, Nevada
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry – Nevada Newspapers
There are currently 107 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank – Nevada Newspapers
There are currently 40 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive – Nevada
There are currently 25 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com – Nevada.
You also need to visit the Nevada Digital Newspaper Project for updates for the state-wide activities in digitizing new Nevada newspaper collections.
Please note – even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course, there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries – please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free Nevada Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills