Prince Edward Island is one of the Canadian provinces that does have a single central online repository for searching historical newspapers. There are also several free publications available on other sites and there are small collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
So go for it – find your Prince Edward Island ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time – so if there is a dead link – please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated April, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- British American (1832 – 1833)
- Cadre (1969 – 1977)
- Charlottetown Herald (1864 – 1923)
- Colonial Herald and Prince Edward Island Advertiser (1837 – 1844)
- Examiner (1847 – 1922)
- Gem (1983 – 1990)
- Guardian (1890 – )
- Haszard’s Gazette (1851 – 1851)
- Island Naturalist
- L’Impartial (1893 – 1915)
- Morning News and Semi-Weekly Advertiser (1843 – 1846)
- Petite Souvenance
- Royal Gazette and Miscellany of the Island of Saint John (1791 – 1794)
- Royal Gazette (1830 – )
- Summerside Journal (1865 – 1951)
- UPEI Sun (1977 – 1983)
- Charlottetown Guardian – Charlottetown
- Harvie’s Prince Edward Island almanack – Charlottetown
- Haszard’s Gazette – Charlottetown
- Haszard’s gazette, farmers’ journal and commercial advertiser – Charlottetown
- L’Impartial – Tignish
- Prince Edward Island Gazette – Charlottetown
- Royal Gazette and Prince Edward Island Recorder – Charlottetown
- Royal Herald – Charlottetown
- The Broad-axe – Charlottetown
- The Charlottetown herald – Charlottetown
- The church and its creed – Charlottetown
- The Colonial Herald and Prince Edward Island Advertiser – Charlottetown
- The Gazette – Charlottetown
- The Herald – Charlottetown
- The Prince Edward Island Magazine – Charlottetown
- The progress magazine – Summerside
- The Protector and Christian witness – Charlottetown
- The Protestant and evangelical witness – Charlottetown
- The Strathalbyn jubilee – Charlottetown
University of Prince Edward Island – Charlottetown
- Prince of Wales College – Observer
- Prince of Wales College – College Times
- St. Dunstans University – Red & White
- UPEI Magazine
- The Cadre
Holland College – Charlottetown
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
- Charlottetown Examiner
- Charlottetown Guardian
- The Daily Examiner
- The Islander
- The Palladium
- The Patriot
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There is currently 1 publication available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry – Prince Edward Island Newspapers
Paper of Record:
There are currently 5 publications available at this site. See the titles at Paper of Record – Prince Edward island
You might want to check out the Island Archives Newspaper Project site from time to time to see what is available online or otherwise.
Please note – even more may be available via a local or provincial library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries – please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free Prince Edward Island Links, click on the category of interest: