One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, marriage, and death (BMD) information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists (as well as the largest of them all – FamilySearch), a great number of indexes to birth, marriage, and death collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific BMD information, and often scanned images of the actual birth, marriage, and death certificates themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth, marriage, and death information that are not included in the lists below. For example, newspapers, draft registration files, naturalization records, etc. have BMD info. To find out which types of other records may include BMD information, please see:
- 27 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
- 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information
- 21 Ways to Find Ancestors Death Information
The lists below are specific birth, marriage, and death indexes and record collections that are available for free online.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. In many cases there is a link to the digital collection in the middle of the page, but also near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. Please also note that I have listed below only BMD databases that are accessible digitally from your computer (or tablet/phone). Important: Make sure that you are logged in to the FamilySearch site. For some reason, if you are not logged in an otherwise browsable collection will show up with the camera icon with a key; if logged in, it will show up as the camera icon, ensuring that you can access the collection online remotely.
Note: There are obituary record indexes included, but are only listed if the index contains the death date, not just the date of publication of the obituary.
(Updated November 2022)
- Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959
- Canada Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955
- Canada Marriages, 1661-1949
- Canada Miscellaneous Marriages
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Obituary Card Index and Notices, 1876-2007
- Alberta Strays, Index of Obituaries, Yukon News, 1960 – 2000
- Manitoba Death Index from Yukon News
- Miscellaneous Northwest Territories Deaths 1878-1886
- Yukon Archives Genealogy Research Database
- Yukon Territory, Record of Funerals, 1907-1937
- Yukon Vital Records, Alaska & Yukon (marriage, death, birth, divorce, anniversary & christening) as reported in the Weekly Douglas Island Newspaper, Douglas, Alaska, 1898-1922
Check out the links for other provinces on the BMD Records page.
For all Free Canadian Territories Links, click on the category of interest: