Vermont is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for searching historical newspapers. Several states use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main central online site for searching old newspapers and currently, Vermont has the majority of its newspapers available on that site. There are free online newspapers also available on other sites and there are collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are about 1,100 newspapers that have been published in the Green Mountain State – certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it – find your Vermont ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also, I suspect that some of these links may change over time – so if there is a dead link – please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated February 2023; recently added links are in BOLD)
Vermont Historical Newspapers
Chronicling America – Vermont Newspapers
- Barre, Vt., 1897-1959 – The Barre daily times.
- Barre, Vt., 1898-1898 – Barre evening enterprise.
- Barre, Vt., 1898-19?? – Barre evening telegram.
- Barre, Vt., 1903-1920 – Cronaca sovversiva.
- Barton, Vt., 1872-1953 – Orleans County monitor.
- Battleboro, Vt., 1876-1897 – The Windham County reformer.
- Bellows Falls, Vt., 1856-1965 – Bellows Falls times.
- Bennington, Vt., 1858-1894 – The Bennington banner.
- Bennington, Vt., 1877-1877 – The Bennington daily banner.
- Bennington, Vt., 1891-1891 – The daily banner.
- Bennington, Vt., 1894-1902 – Bennington semi-weekly banner.
- Bennington, Vt., 19??-1961 – The Bennington evening banner.
- Bennington, Vt., 1903-19?? – Bennington banner and reformer.
- Bradford, Vt., 1865-1874 – National opinion.
- Bradford, Vt., 1874-1881 – Bradford opinion.
- Bradford, Vt., 1881-1970 – The united opinion.
- Brandon [Vt.], 1828-1843 – Vermont telegraph.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1834-1955 – Vermont phœnix.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1836-1853 – Windham County Democrat.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1897-1901 – Semi-weekly Windham County reformer.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1901-1906 – Windham County reformer.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1907-1912 – The Brattleboro reformer.
- Brattleboro, Vt., 1913-1955 – The Brattleboro daily reformer.
- Burlington, Vt., 1827-1865 – Burlington free press.
- Burlington, Vt., 1839-1840 – Le Patriote canadien.
- Burlington, Vt., 1866-1928 – Burlington weekly free press.
- Guildhall, Vt., 1873-1964 – Essex County herald.
- Hyde Park, Vt., 1860-1877 – Lamoille newsdealer. volume
- Hyde Park, Vt., 1877-1881 – The Lamoille news.
- Irasburgh, Vt., 1856-1871 – Orleans independent standard.
- Manchester, Vt., 1861-current – The Manchester journal.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1836-1838 – The People’s press, and anti-masonic Democrat.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1838-1841 – The people’s press, and Addison County Democrat.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1841-1843 – The Middlebury people’s press.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1843-1844 – The Northern galaxy, and Middlebury people’s press.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1844-1848 – The northern galaxy.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1848-1850 – The Middlebury galaxy.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1850-1882 – The Middlebury register.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1883-1885 – The Middlebury register and Addison County journal.
- Middlebury, Vt., 1886-1937 – Middlebury register.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1831-1836 – State journal.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1836-1883 – Vermont watchman and State journal.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1842-1843 – The Vermont freeman.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1844-1884 – Green-Mountain freeman.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1861-1865 – The daily Green Mountain freeman.
- Montpelier, Vt., 1883-1911 – The Vermont watchman.
- Morrisville, Vt. ;, 1881-current – News and citizen.
- Newport, Orleans County, Vt., 1870-1877 – Vermont farmer.
- None, 1839-1848 – The voice of freedom. volume
- Rutland, Vt., 1823-1847 – Rutland herald.
- Rutland, Vt., 1848-1850 – Rutland County herald.
- Rutland, Vt., 1850-1852 – The Rutland herald.
- Rutland, Vt., 1852-1855 – The Rutland County herald.
- Rutland, Vt., 1859-1877 – Rutland weekly herald.
- Rutland, Vt., 1873-1877 – The Rutland daily globe.
- Rutland, Vt., 1873-1877 – The Rutland weekly globe.
- South Londonderry, Vt., 1883-19?? – The Londonderry sifter.
- St. Albans, Vt., 1864-1870 – The Vermont transcript.
- St. Albans, Vt., 1868-1870 – Vermont daily transcript.
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1837-1867 – The Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1867-1919 – St. Johnsbury Caledonian. volume
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1918-1920 – The evening Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1919-1920 – Weekly Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1920-1920 – St. Johnsbury Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury, Vt., 1920-current – The Caledonian-record.
- Swanton, Vt., 1839-1841 – North American.
- West Randolph, Vt., 1878-1943 – Herald and news.
- Woodstock, Vt., 1840-1844 – The spirit of the age.
- Woodstock, Vt., 1844-1845 – The Woodstock age.
- Woodstock, Vt., 1845-1913 – Spirit of the age. volume
Google News Archive
- Bradford – Journal Opinion
- Newport – Express and Standard
County and Library Collections:
Charlotte News Archive
- The Charlotte News
- Charlotte News
Arvin A. Brown Public Library
- Journal Gazette
- Richford Gazette
- Richford Journal
- Richford Journal and Gazette
Stowe Free Library
- News and Citizen
- Stowe Journal
- Stowe Reporter
- The Stowe Reporter
- The Banner
Bennington College – Bennington
- Before the End of the World 2007
- Bennington Today 1986
- Bennington Weekly 1950 – 1952
- Latest Dope 1986
- Pastiche 1968 – 1969
- Snap 2002-2003
- The Beacon 1947 – 1949
- The Bennington Biweekly 1952-1954
- The Bennington Free Press 2007-present
- The Bennington Voice 1992
- The Bugler 1954
- The Collective 1982
- The Commons 1988-1989
- The New Paper 1976 – 1978
- Tool & Die April 13, 1983 to
- Vanguard 1978-1979
Castleton University – Castleton
Goddard College – Plainfield
Johnson State College – Johnson
Lyndon State College – Lyndonville
Marlboro College – Marlboro
Middlebury College – Middlebury
Norwich University – Northfield
Saint Michael’s College – Colchester
University of Vermont – Burlington
- The Vermont Cynic
- The Alumnus
- Alumni Magazine
- UVM Notes
- Vermont Alumni News
- Vermont Alumni Weekly
- Vermont Alumnus
Vermont Technical College – Randolph Center
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
Independent Voices – Alternative Newspapers
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Bellows Falls – Wah Hoo Blues (Company 119)
- Fort Ethan Allen – The Ethan Allen Patriot (Company 170)
- Marshfield – Groton Camp Crier (Company 146)
- Marshfield – Groton Crier (Company 146)
- Marshfield – Groton Forest Camp Crier (Company 146)
- Marshfield – Groton Forest Crier (Company 146)
- Northfield – O. S. & D (Company 198)
- Peru – Peru Eagle (Company 166)
- Plymouth – Coolidge Rambler (Company 145)
- Readsboro – Lookout (Company 124)
- Sharon – Apple-Knocker (Company 199)
- Waterbury – Camel’S Hump Barracks Bag (Company 191)
- Waterbury – See-See-See (Company 191)
- West Burke – Willoughby Whisper (Company 121)
- Windsor – Ascutney Spark (Company 129)
- Windsor – Okemo Life (Company 129)
- Windsor – The Bunk (Company 129)
- Yorktown – Ye Olde York Times (Company 323)
- Groton Forest Camp Crier
- Journal Opinion Bradford, Vermont
Old Fulton Postcards
- Bellows Falls VT Times
- Bennington VT Evening Banner
- Brattleboro VT Vermont Phoenix
- Burlington VT Free Press
- Middlebury VT Galaxy
- Middlebury VT Northen Galaxy
- Middlebury VT Peoples Press
- Middlebury VT Register
- Montpelier VT State Journal
- Montpelier VT Vermont Watchman
- Newport VT Vermont Farmer
- Rutland VT Herald
- Rutland VT Weekly Globe
- St Johnbury VT Caledonmian
- Woodstock VT Sprit Of The Age
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
- Burlington Free Press/Rutland Herald Newspaper Index (Index)
- Vermont Catholic – July 2009-present
- Seven Days
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 18 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Ancestry – Vermont Newspapers
There are currently 195 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank – Vermont
There are currently 66 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archives – Vermont
There are currently 557 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com – Vermont. Please note that through the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, Vermont residents can access for free the state’s newspapers that are part of newspapers dot com’s collection.
You also need to visit the Vermont Digital Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note – even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course, there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries – please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For all Free Vermont Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills
4 replies on “Vermont Online Historical Newspapers Summary”
I have located a copy of the Whitingham News, Vol 1 Issue 1. dated October 20, 1875.
Is this a newspaper that is even on the list of historical newspapers in Vermont ?
looking for william savage obituary, death from feb. 26, 1895
he was born 18 May 1854
Stockbridge, Windsor County, Vermont, USA
i have searched endlessly.
cannot find death or burial record.
I am looking for Nancy Fisk . She married Stephen Darling. Believe he was from Groton. Her parents were Zibiah Pond and Capt. RICHARD FISK.