One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, baptism, and/or christening information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists, a great number of indexes to birth and baptism collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific birth, baptism, or christening information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual birth documents themselves. These free online collections have millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth information that is not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 32 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
If you are interested in baptism indexes that may include the birth date as well as baptism information, make sure and check out Church Records.
The lists below are specific birth, baptism, and christening indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated June 2022)
- Delaware Baptisms 1697-1886
- Delaware Birth Records, pre-1913 (1861-1912) – 1923
- Delaware Births and Christenings, 1710-1896
- Delaware Marriages, Baptisms, Births and Deaths Index Cards ca. 1680-ca. 1934
- Delaware State Birth Records, 1861-1922
- Delaware Vital Records, 1650-1974
- Delaware Birth Records (Certificates and Returns) 1861-1913
- Delaware, Bible Record Collection, ca. 1680-2000
- Delaware, Birth Certificates, 1921-1929; Birth Index Cards, 1913-1930
- Delaware, Birth Index, 1650-1942; Birth and Baptism Index, 1650-1913, 1650-1942
- Delaware, Births-Baptisms Index, ca. 1700-1960
- Delaware, Vital Record Index Cards, 1680-1934
- Delaware, Vital Records, 1680-1971
- Kent County Early Marriages and Births from
- Kent County, Birth Indexes
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- New Castle County, Birth Indexes
- Portsville, Sussex County Book of Memorandum of Births, Marriages & Deaths (1798-1844)
- Sussex County – Miscellaneous Records
- Sussex County Prince George’s Church Births
- Sussex County, Birth Indexes
- United States Births and Christenings, 1867-1931
- Vital Records for Wilmington, Delaware and Vicinity
- Wilmington Birth Records, 1881-1919; Index, 1881-1918
- Wilmington Vital Records, 1847-1954
For all Free Delaware Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills