One of the main goals for genealogists is finding marriage information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians and archivists, a great number of indexes to marriage collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific marriage license, bond, and certificate information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual marriage documents themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include marriage information that are not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information.
The lists below are specific marriage indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state of Delaware.
Note 1: Many of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. In many cases there is a link to the digital collection in the middle of the page, but also near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. Please also note that I have listed below only databases that are accessible digitally from your computer (or tablet/phone)
Note 2: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated April, 2021; recently added links are in BOLD):
- Delaware Marriages and Marriage Licenses, 1713-1894
- Delaware Marriages, 1713-1919
- Delaware Marriages, Baptisms, Births and Deaths Index Cards ca. 1680-ca. 1934
- Delaware Vital Records, 1650-1974
- Delaware Marriage Records, pre-1913 (1865-Jan 1913) and 1913 – 1954
- Delaware, Bible Record Collection, ca. 1680-2000
- Delaware, Index to Marriage Records, ca. 1650-1960
- Delaware, Marriage Index cards, 1913-1962
- Delaware, Marriage Index, 1650-1974
- Delaware, Marriage Records, ca. 1650-1980
- Delaware, Vital Record Index Cards, 1680-1934
- Delaware, Vital Records, 1680-1971
- Hearn Marriages after 1850
- Hearn Marriages prior to 1850
- Kent County, Marriages
- Kent County Early Marriages and Births from
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- New Castle County Marriage License Bonds 1744-1802
- New Castle County, Marriage Indexes
- New Castle County, Marriage Records, 1911-1967
- New Castle County, Marriages
- Polish American Marriage Database
- Portsville, Sussex County Book of Memorandum of Births, Marriages & Deaths (1798-1844)
- Sussex and Kent County Registry of Wills, Letters of Administration, Marriages, etc. 1683- 1695
- Sussex County – Miscellaneous Records
- Sussex County Early Marriages
- Sussex County Sound Church Marriages
- Sussex County, Coroner’s Inquests, 1757-1891
- Sussex County, Marriage Records, 1911-1965
- Sussex County, Marriages
- Sussex County. Marriage Indexes
- United States Marriages, 1733-1990
- United States, Freedmen’s Bureau Marriages, 1861-1872
- Vital Records for Wilmington, Delaware and Vicinity
- Wilmington Marriage Records, 1881-1954
- Wilmington Vital Records, 1847-1954
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Delaware Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills