Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists (as well as the largest of them all – FamilySearch), a great number of indexes to death collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific death information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual death certificates themselves. These free online collections have hundreds of millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include death information that are not included in the lists below. For example, newspapers and obituaries have death info, but most times obituary indexes include the date of the obituary but not the date of death. To find out which types of other records may include death information, please see:
The lists below are specific death indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated June 2022)
- Hawaii County Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Hawaii County Obituaries and Death Information
- Hawaii Death Register Indexes (by island), 1896-1903
- Hawaii Deaths and Burials, 1862-1919
- Hawaii Deaths and Transcribed Obituaries 1980-present
- Hawaii Genealogy Indexes
- Hawaii State Archives, Vital Statistics Collection
- Hawaiian Electronic Library Marriages and Deaths 1826-1929
- Honolulu County Death and Obituary Index
- Honolulu County, Death Index
- Island Newspaper Deaths and Transcribed Obituaries 1989-2013
- Island of Hawaii Registers of Birth, Marriage and Death, 1841-1896
- Island of Hawaii Reports of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1851-1896
- Kauai County Death Records
- Kauai County Obituaries and Death Information
- Maui County Death Records
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- Online Searchable Death Indexes
- United States Deaths and Burials, 1867-1961
- United States Korean War Battle Deaths, 1950-1957
- United States Social Security Death Index
- United States, World War I American Expeditionary Forces Deaths, 1917-1919
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Maui
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Oahu
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Hawaii, Kauai, Molokai, and Niihau
For other Free Hawaii Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills