One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, baptism, and/or christening information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists, a great number of indexes to birth and baptism collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific birth, baptism, or christening information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual birth documents themselves. These free online collections have millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth information that is not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 32 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
If you are interested in baptism indexes that may include the birth date as well as baptism information, make sure and check out Church Records.
The lists below are specific birth, baptism, and christening indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated June 2023)
Hawaii Birth Records
- Hawaii Births and Christenings, 1852-1933
- Hawaii County Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Hawaii Genealogy Indexes
- Hawaii State Archives, Vital Statistics Collection
- Hawaii, Birth Indexes
- Hawaii, Births and Baptisms, 1843-1909
- Hawaii, Certifications of Hawaiian-born children of Chinese parentage, 1893-1898
- Hawaiian Newspaper Index to Births pre-1950
- Honolulu County Births
- Island of Hawaii Registers of Birth, Marriage, and Death, 1841-1896
- Island of Hawaii Reports of Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1851-1896
- Island of Oahu, Reports of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1837-1896
- Islands of Kauai and Niihau, Reports of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1846-1896
- Islands of Maui, Molokai, and Lanai, Reports of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1842-1896
- Kauai County Birth Records
- Maui County Birth Records
- Maui, Reports of Births, Deaths, and Marriage licenses issued, 1897-1900
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- United States Births and Christenings, 1867-1931
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Maui
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Oahu
- Vital Statistics Collection, 1826-1929 – Hawaii, Kauai, Molokai, and Niihau
For all Free Hawaii Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills