One of the main goals for genealogists is finding birth, baptism, and/or christening information about their ancestors.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians, and archivists, a great number of indexes to birth and baptism collections have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes provide specific birth, baptism, or christening information, and sometimes scanned images of the actual birth documents themselves. These free online collections have millions of records in them in total.
There are a great number of online and offline collections that may include birth information that is not included in the lists below. These different types can be found in 27 Ways to Find Ancestor Birth Information
If you are interested in baptism indexes that may include the birth date as well as baptism information, make sure and check out Church Records.
The lists below are specific birth, baptism, and christening indexes and record collections that are available for free online for the state.
Note: Some of the links listed take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. To take full advantage, please make sure that you are logged in to FamilySearch. The results may be different if you are signed in, rather than not.
Note: I have included links to Free Ancestry records and indexes. You do not need a subscription, but do need an Ancestry account. Without a subscription, you can view indexes. If there is an image associated with a record, in most cases you will need a subscription, but the index does include very usable information.
(Updated December 2021):
- Acadia Parish, Birth Index
- Archdiocese of New Orleans Online Sacramental Records
- Attakapas District Records
- Jefferson Davis Parish Birth Index
- Lafayette Parish, Birth Index
- Louisiana Bible Records, Vols. 2-4, 1951, 1955-1956
- Louisiana Births and Christenings, 1811-1830; 1854-1934
- Louisiana Early Court and Church Records
- Louisiana Miscellaneous Vital Records
- Louisiana Secretary of State Birth Records Index
- Louisiana Miscellaneous Vital Records, 1700-1900
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- Natchitoches Parish Baptisms
- Orleans Parish Baptisms
- Orleans Parish Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Orleans Parish Vital Records, 1900-1964
- Orleans Parish, Births and Baptisms
- Plaquemines Parish Births and Baptisms
- Richland Parish Birth Index
- Richland Parish Births
- St. Landry Parish, Birth Index
- St. Martin Parish, Birth Index
- St. Mary Parish Birth Announcements, 2011-12
- St. Mary Parish, Birth Index
- Tangipahoa Parish Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- Tensas Parish Births and Baptisms
- Terrebonne Parish Birth Announcements 1998-2002
- United States Births and Christenings, 1867-1931
- Vernon Parish Births
- Vernon Parish Births
- West Baton Rouge Parish, Birth Index
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Louisiana Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills