Probate records and wills are available online from all over the U.S. and are what I consider another hidden gem of information that can assist you in advancing your family history and genealogy research.
What can you find in these records? How about date of death, spouses and children names, birth order, siblings and siblings spouses, parents names, and residence locations for all named persons. Also, ownership of land and/or other significant property, business names and occupation, military service, guardianships, and adoptions. Basically, anything owned by the deceased is typically listed and to whom it is to be assigned.
I won’t pretend to be an expert on the probate process – all I know is that I have discovered an amazing amount of good information from probate records and wills as part of my personal genealogy research.
Here are a few good primers on the benefits of searching probate documents and wills:
Below, listed are links to probate records, wills, and indexes available for free online for the state.
Note: Please be aware that if you find a desired will or probate record in an index, that the holder of the actual materials (e.g., (archive, county court, etc.) may charge a small fee to send you a copy of the material itself.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections’ images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated August 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Beaver County Land Records, divorce Records and Estate Records
- Beaver County, Probate Court Records : Court journals, 1889-1902
- Box Elder County Records, 1856-1960
- Box Elder County Register of Estates, Guardianship, insane and adoption cases, 1899-1960
- Cache County Civil Case Files. 1860-1887
- Cache County Probate accounts : Books A-C, 1889-1898
- Davis County Records, 1869-1953
- Davis County Decree Books, 1880-1946
- Davis County, deed Books
- Davis County, Wills, 1877-1968
- Juab County Records
- Juab County Court Records, 1862-1865
- Juab County Probate Estate files, no. 171-211 (ca. 1908-1912)
- Juab County Probate Records, Registers, Orders and Decrees 1883-1966
- Juab County Wills, 1861-1888
- Piute County Probate Record, 1888-1889
- Piute County Probate Records, 1869-1910
- Salt Lake County Probate Case Files. 1852-1896
- Salt Lake County Court minutes, 1884-1920
- Salt Lake County Declaratory statements, 1869-1876
- Salt Lake County Probate Case Files, District Court 1852-1894
- Tooele County, Index to wills, 1887-1955
- Uintah County, Probate Records : Case Files, 1886-1936
- Uintah County, Probate Records : wills, 1886-1932
- Utah, State Archives Records, 1848-2001
- Utah, Probate Records, 1851-1961
- Wayne County Probate Orders & Decrees, 1896-1966
- Wayne County Probate Register of action including civil and criminal, 1896-1987
- Weber County Probate Records and Minute Books for Second Judicial District Court, 1896-1909
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Utah Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills