For those of you who have some Italian in your family tree, there are several Italian-American newspapers that have been published over the last hundred or so years that may help you find some information and stories about your ancestors.
Listed are only those that are available online. As always, there are tons more available via microfilm and in the original form via libraries and archives.
Please note that some are free and some require a subscription or a login from a university (or local) library. Some are indexed, and some are not. In the Free Collections, you may see some duplicates – this is because the newspaper is provided on multiple online sites, so you may wish to search or browse each of the duplicates.
(Updated December 2022; recently added links are in BOLD)
Note: in some cases, the city is provided and in others, it isn’t – the same is true of the date range of the title in the online collection. Also, many states are not represented – this may be because 1) there are no Italian newspapers in that state; 2) they have not been digitized, or 3) this author has not found the link.
- Italia (San Francisco, 1897-1919)
- San Francisco – Voce del Popolo
- San Francisco, Calif., 1887-1943 – L’Italia.
- Co-Operatore, IL
- Corriere di Trinidad
- Risveglio, IL
- Unione, L’
- Denver – Roma
- Pueblo – Il Vindice
- Denver – Il Grido Del Popolo
- Le Alpi
- Bridgeport, Conn., 1906-1908 – La Tribuna del Connecticut. [volume]
- Bridgeport, Conn., 191?-1948 – La sentinella = The sentinel. [volume]
- New Haven, Conn., 1903-193? – L’indipendente.
- Il Grido Del Popolo (Italian)
- Il Messaggero (Italian)
- Il Nuovo Vessillo (Italian)
- Il Paese (Italian)
- Il Vindice (Italian)
- La Stampa Libera (Italian)
- L’Adunata dei Refrattari (Italian)
- O Scugnizzo (Italian)
- Roma (Italian)
- Vita Nuova (Italian)
- New York City – Il Nuovo Mondo
- New York City – Il Nuovo Vessillo
- New York City – Il Progresso italo-americano
- New York City – La Ressegna italiana
- New York City – La Stampa Libera
- New York City – L’Adunata dei Refrattari
- New York City – Ressegna Italiana 1918-1923
- New York City – O Scugnizzo
- Utica – Il Pensiero Italiano 1921-1922
- Utica – Il Messaggero (Italian)
- Utica – Il Messaggero
- Indiana, Pa., 1914-1955 – The patriot. [volume]
- Philadelphia, Pa., 1917-???? – La ragione.
- Philadelphia, Pa., 1917-???? – La rassegna. [volume]
- Philadelphia, Pa., 1918-1969 – La libera parola. [volume]
- Philadelphia – Il Paese
Library Access Only:
From their Ethnic American Newspapers from the Balch Collection, 1799-1971, a few Italian American newspapers are available. Check with your nearby library to see if they have a subscription for this collection. Clicking on the link will provide you with a list of titles. Please understand that all of these titles listed are not Italian. There are French, German, Irish, and other ethnic groups contained in this collection.
Genealogy Bank has a few Italian American newspaper titles available:
- California – San Francisco – Corriere del Popolo 1916-1962
- New York – New York – Cristoforo Colombo 1892 1893
- New York – New York – Eco d’Italia 1890-1896
- New York – New York – Fiaccola Weekly 1912-1921
- New York – New York – Progresso Italo-Americano 1884-1889
- Pennsylvania – Philadelphia – Momento 1917-1919
There are likely others in the other major subscription sites, but they are not identified as to ethnicity.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!