South Dakota is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for searching historical newspapers, and they do use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main site for searching old newspapers. There are several free online newspapers on other sites and collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are almost 1,500 newspapers that have been published in the Mount Rushmore State – certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it – find your South Dakota ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also, I suspect that some of these links may change over time – so if there is a dead link – please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated November 2022; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Aberdeen, S.D., 1891-1898 – The star.
- Aberdeen, South Dakota, 1???-1909 – The Aberdeen Democrat.
- Aberdeen, South Dakota, 1890-190? – The state Democrat. [volume]
- Big Stone City, Dak. [S.D.], 1883-1890 – The herald.
- Big Stone City, Grant County, Dakota [S.D.] : Downie & Jackson, 1879-1883 – The Grant County herald.
- Brookings, Brookings Co., S.D., 1894-1898 – Semi-weekly register.
- Brookings, Brookings County, S.D., 1898-1903 – Brookings weekly register.
- Brookings, Brookings County, S.D., 1903-1971 – The Brookings register. [volume]
- Brookings, Dakota [S.D.], 1882-1890 – Brookings County sentinel.
- Brookings, S.D., 1890-1894 – Brookings register.
- Canton, D.T. [S.D.], 1877-1897 – The Canton advocate.
- Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.], 1876-1877 – Lincoln County advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 18??-1890 – Dakota farmers’ advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 1890-19?? – Dakota farmers’ leader.
- Canton, South Dakota, 1890-1890 – The daily Dakota farmers’ leader. [volume]
- Canton, South Dakota, 1896-1896 – Canton daily leader. [volume]
- Clifton, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1894 – The Sully County watchman.
- Custer City, Black Hills, D.T. [S.D.], 1880-1890 – Custer chronicle. [volume]
- Custer City, S.D., 1890-1931 – Custer weekly chronicle. [volume]
- DeSmet, Kingsbury Co., Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1891 – The DeSmet leader.
- DeSmet, Kingsbury County, S.D., 1894-1929 – Kingsbury County independent.
- Effington, Sud Dakota [S.D.], 1902-19?? – Sisseton Posten. [volume]
- Elk Point, South Dakota, 1890-1890 – The daily courier. [volume]
- Elk Point, Union County, D.T. [S.D.], 187?-1913 – Union County courier.
- Eureka, McPherson Co., S.D., 18??-19?? – Eureka post.
- Eureka, McPherson Co., Süd=Dakota, 18??-19?? – Die Eureka post.
- Forest City, Potter County, D.T. [S.D.], 1883-19?? – Forest City press.
- Gann Valley, Buffalo County, S.D., 18??-1913 – The Dakota chief.
- Hot Spings [Hot Springs], Dakota [Dakota Territory, i.e. S.D.], 1886-189? – The Hot Springs star.
- Hot Springs, S.D., 1892-1917 – Hot Springs weekly star.
- Hurley, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-19?? – Turner County herald.
- Kadoka, S.D., 1908-1910 – The Kadoka press. [volume]
- Kadoka, S.D., 1910-1923 – The Kadoka press and Kadoka reporter. [volume]
- Kadoka, S.D., 1923-current – The Kadoka press. [volume]
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 188?-1883 – Kimball enterprise.
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1905 – The Kimball graphic.
- Lemmon, Perkins County, S.D., 1912-1917 – The Lemmon herald.
- Madison, S.D., 1890-current – The Madison daily leader.
- Milbank, Grant County, S.D., 188?-1890 – The advance.
- Milbank, S.D., 1890-1922 – The herald-advance.
- Miller, Dakota [S.D.], 1882-1893 – Hand County press.
- Miller, Hand County, S.D., 1893-190? – The pioneer press.
- Miller, Hand County, S.D., 190?-19?? – The Miller sun.
- Miller, S.D., 190?-current – The Miller press. [volume]
- Mitchell, Dakota [S.D.], 1879-1918 – The Mitchell capital.
- Mitchell, Süd=Dakota, 1890-1899 – Süd Dakota Nachrichten.
- Mobridge, Walworth Co., S.D., 190?-1917 – The Mobridge news. [volume]
- Newell, Butte County, S.D., 1910-19?? – Newell reclamation news.
- North Lemmon, Adams County, N.D., 1907-1912 – The State-line herald.
- Philip, Haakon County, S.D., 1???-19?? – The pioneer.
- Philip, Haakon County, S.D., 1918-1920 – Philip weekly review.
- Philip, Haakon County, S.D., 1920-current – The pioneer-review.
- Philip, Stanley County, S.D., 1???-1912 – Philip weekly review.
- Philip, Stanley County, S.D., 19??-1912 – The Bad River news.
- Philip, Stanley County, S.D., 1912-1918 – Philip weekly review and Bad River news.
- Pierre, S.D., 1889-19?? – Pierre weekly free press.
- Pine Ridge, S.D., 1???-19?? – The Oglala light. [volume]
- Rapid City, Pennington County, Dakota [S.D.], 1889-1904 – The Black Hills union.
- Rapid City, S.D., 1904-19?? – The Black Hills union and western stock review.
- Scotland, Bon Homme County, S.D., 1???-19?? – The citizen-Republican.
- Sioux Falls, Süd=Dakota, 18??-1900 – Süd Dakota Nachrichten.
- Sioux Falls, Süd=Dakota, 1900-1901 – Süd=Dakota Nachrichten und Herold.
- Sioux Falls, Süd-Dakota, 1901-1907 – Nachrichten=Herold.
- Sioux Falls, Süd-Dakota, 1907-1918 – Deutscher Herold. [volume]
- Sisseton, Roberts County, S.D., 1892-1929 – The Sisseton weekly standard.
- Sturgis, Dakota [S.D.], 1887-1??? – Sturgis advertiser.
- Tabor, S.D., 1904-1913 – The Bon Homme County independent. [volume]
- Tabor, S.D., 1913-19?? – The Tabor independent. [volume]
- Timber Lake, S.D., 1910-1913 – Dewey County advocate.
- Wagner, Charles Mix County, S.D., 1???-1911 – The Charles Mix new era.
- Wagner, Charles Mix County, S.D., 1911-1912 – The New era-leader.
- Wagner, Charles Mix County, S.D., 1912-1912 – The Wagner leader.
- Wagner, Charles Mix County, S.D., 1912-current – The Wagner post.
- Warner, Brown Co., Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1885 – The Warner weekly sun.
- Warner, Brown Co., Dakota [S.D.], 1885-1??? – The Warner sun.
- Watertown, S.D., 19??-19?? – Saturday news.
- Webster, Day County, Dakota [S.D.], 188?-1946 – Reporter and farmer. [volume]
- Wessington Springs, Aurora County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1891 – Wessington Springs herald.
- Wood, Mellette County, S.D., 19??-1971 – The Mellette County pioneer. [volume]
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1875 – Yankton daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1880 – Daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1880-1889 – Press and daily Dakotaian.
Google News Archive
- Burke – The Burke Gazette
- Canistota – The Canistota Clipper
- Canova – The Canova Herald
- Freeman – Freeman South Dakota Courier
- Freeman – Freeman Courier
- Hartford – The Hartford
- Humboldt – The Humboldt Journal
- Humboldt – The Hartford Area News
- Isabel – Isabel Dakotan
- Marion – The Marion Record
- Menno – Hutchinson Herald
- Montrose – The Montrose Herald
- Parker – The New Era
- Wilmont – The Wilmot Enterprise
- Woonsocket – Woonsocket News
- Woonsocket – Sanborn Weekly Journal
- Black Hills Daily Times
- Indian Country Today
- Rapid City Journal
- SDSU Collegian Index
- Sioux Falls Argus-Leader
County and Library Collections:
- Semi-Weekly Register
- The Clay County Register
- The Dakota Republican
- The Dakota Republican and Vermillion Standard
- The Summer Session News
- The Vermillion Standard
- The Vermillionaire
- The Volante
- The Wagner Post
- Vermillion Plain Talk
- Wakonda Monitor
- Big Stone Headlight
- Blue Blanket Leader
- Brown County Sentinel
- Country Teacher
- Frontier Scout
- Grant County News
- Grant County Review
- Grant County Teacher
- Grant County Tribune
- Harris Graphic
- Lyman County Journal
- Marvin Monitor
- Milbank Herald Advance
- Milbank High School Yearbooks
- Pierre Daily Recorder
- Pukwana Press Reporter
- Sioux Falls Daily Press
- Sioux Valley News
- South Dakota Oil News
- South Shore Republican
- Spring Lake Star
- Summit Signal
- Syd Dakota Ekko
- The Advance
- The Aurora Times
- The Black Hills Pioneer
- The Brushie Blade
- The Country Teacher
- The Daily Hot Springs Star
- The Daily Revival Herald
- The Dakota Citizen
- The Dakota Gazette
- The Democrat
- The Egan Express
- The Elk Point Tribune
- The Farmer
- The Farmingdale Gimlet
- The Faulkton Herald
- The Fielder Times
- The Grant County Herald
- The Herald
- The Herald Advance
- The Inkpa Headlight
- The Milbank Herald Advance
- The Milbank Index
- The Millbank News Letter
- The Milwaukee Road News
- The New Era
- The Onida Watchman
- The Parker Press Leader
- The Pierre Daily Signal
- The Pierre Recorder
- The Pioneer
- The Rapid City Evening Herald
- The Record Republican
- The Sioux Falls Press
- The South Dakota Messenger
- The South Dakota Wheat Grower
- The Summit Independent
- The Valley Pioneer
- The Weekly Item
- The Wentworth Bond
- The Wentworth City Bond
- Western Stock Growers Journal
- Dakota City Advance
- Parkston Advance
- The Parkston Courier
- Lake County Leader
- Mitchell Daily Republican
- The Aberdeen Journal
- The Madison Daily Leader
- The Madison Daily Sentinel
- Beresford Republic
- Beresford News
- Beresford 100 Years
- Union County Republic
- Beresford Weekly News
- Beresford 75th Diamond Jubilee
- Republic Beresford
- Beresford Union County Republic
- Beresford High School Title
- Daily Dakota Herald
- Daily Press and Dakotaian
- Daily Press and Dakotan Gazette
- Dakota Weekly Union
- Semi Weekly Dakota Herald
- Semi Weekly Yankton Press and Dakotan
- The Dakota Herald
- The Dakotian
- The Press and Dakotaian
- The Union and Dakotaian
- The Volin Telegram
- The Weekly Dakotian
- The Yankton Daily Gazette
- The Yankton Press
- The Yankton Press and Union and Dakotaian
- The Yankton Press and Union and Dakotan
- The Yankton Weekly Gazette
- Yankton Daily Journal
- Yankton Daily Press and Dakotaian
- Yankton Press and Dakotan
- Yankton Press and Dakotan and Dakota Herald
- Yankton Press and Dakotan and The Yankton Daily Gazette
- Black Hill Daily Times
- Black Hills Champion
- Black Hills Daily Pioneer Times
- Black Hills Daily Pioneer
- Black Hills Herald
- Black Hills Pioneer
- Black Hills Pioneer-Times
- Black Hills Times Weekly
- Black Hills Weekly Pioneer
- Black Hills Weekly Times
- Lead Daily Pioneer-Times
Augustana Academy – Canton
Augustana University – Sioux Falls
Black Hills State University – Spearfish
Dakota State University – Madison
Mount Mary College – Yankton
Lead High School – Lead
Northern State University – Aberdeen
Presentation College – Aberdeen
Sinte Gleska University – Mission
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology – Rapid City
South Dakota State University –
University of Sioux Falls – Sioux Falls
University of South Dakota – Vermillion
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
- Lakota Times
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Camp Crook – Little American (Company 2765)
- Chamberlain – American Island Chimes (Company 4726)
- Chamberlain – American Islander (Company 4725)
- Chamberlain – Crow Creek Chimes (Company 4726)
- Chamberlain – Islander (Company 4726)
- Columbia – Ducklin (Company 2749)
- Custer – Black Hills Echo (Company 762)
- Custer – Black Hills Echo (Company 762)
- Custer – Doran Echoes (Company 762)
- Custer – Doran Echoes (Company 762)
- Custer – Lightning Flashes (Company 791)
- Fruitdale – Orman Duster (Company 2750)
- Hill City – Camp Oreville News (Company 2760)
- Hill City – Camp Static (Company 793)
- Hill City – Hill City Tech Bulletin (Company 793)
- Hill City – Horse Sense (Company 2752)
- Hill City – Oreville News (Company 2760)
- Hill City – Spring Creek Comet (Company 2760)
- Hill City – Tigerville Tech Bulletin (Company 793)
- Hot Springs – Wind Jammer (Company 2754)
- Huron – Chanticleer (Company 4725)
- Huron – Vets Chanticleer (Company 4725)
- Martin – Lacreek Crier (Company 4723)
- Pierre – Island Newsdrops (Company 2756)
- Pierre – Peavie Press (Company 796)
- Presho – Teepee-Town Talk (Company 4726)
- Roubaix – Este Ripples (Company 789)
- Roubaix – Roubaix Echo (Company 792)
- Sturgis – Park Creek Crier (Company 2759)
- The Burke Gazette Burke, South Dakota
- The Canistota Clipper Canistota, South Dakota
- Freeman Courier Freeman, South Dakota
- The Hartford Area News Canistota, South Dakota
- Humboldt Journal Canistota, South Dakota
- Hutchinson Herald Menno, South Dakota
- Isabel Dakotan Isabel, South Dakota
- The Marion Record Canistota, South Dakota
- The Montrose Herald Canistota, South Dakota
- The New Era Parker, South Dakota
- Sanborn Weekly Journal Woonsocket, South Dakota
- The Wilmot Enterprise Wilmot, South Dakota
- Woonsocket News Woonsocket, South Dakota
- The Canova Herald Canova
- Elk Point SD Dakota Gleaner
- Elk Point SD Leader Courier
- Elk Point SD Union County Courier
- Elk Point SD Union County Herald
- Sturgis SD Weekly Record
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 23 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Ancestry – South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 121 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank – South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 87 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive – South Dakota
There are currently 97 publications available on this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com – South Dakota.
You also need to visit the State Historical Society site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note – even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course, there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries – please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free South Dakota Links, click on the category of interest:
Probate and Wills